How do you get a train from Holland to Wacken?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Kat_Malin

14 Apr. 2005
so here's the deal. I'm from england, i'm going to be flying out to amsterdam for a few days, then getting the train from there to wacken. i've been told that booking the train early will save me money, but i can't find how to do this, does anyone know? the eurorail website is telling me to buy then ticket from the station but if i do that i wont be able to book in advance. it probably doesn't help that i don't speak a word of dutch or german, trying to registar for this forum was hard enough. plus, the stupid work computer i'm using wont let me on google language tools to translate things.

if anyone could help i'd be very very very grateful!

THANK YOU!!!

kat xx

DarthFreak

W:O:A Metalmaster
hey kat.

well i think german rail should have an "english button" somewhere... I#ll just check that...
thats your link:

http://www.db.de/site/bahn/en/start.html

here's your link... there is some special scheme in germany for booking cheap tickets but as your are visiting our beloved neighbour holland first, i have no idea how that works...

just check if you can go book the whole thing via german rail (DB)

basically you have to take a train to "Itzehoe" and then depending on the date you arrive there will be either ShuttleBuses running to Wacken or you'll have to take a cab.. thatll be 'bout 20quid / 30€

hope to have helped

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Isn't it possible to make reservations for the train in the UK already. If not, the link from dittohead is indead the best link you can have.

There are direct trains from Amsterdam Centraal (Central) to Osnabrück Hbf, there you have to change to Hamburg and in Altona or Hbf, you change for Itzehoe. The ticket price includes all suppements on DB rail.

Note. It's impossible to buy a ticket from Amsterdam (or Holland for that matter) to Itzehoe. The nearest station that's sold is Hamburg. You need to buy the rest in Hamburg.

Hammered_gods

5 Sep. 2002
Czech Republic
Website besuchen
Traveling by train by train is awsome. We got drunk with couple of metalhads when we went to one festival. Problem was that we started to feel sobber, and the next train came too soon so they stole the glasses in which they had the beer and took them into the train. Of course that the lady from the pub was running behind the train :D:D:D

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Sodomy&Lust schrieb:
If Ditto managed to travel from Amsterdam to my little crappy town in Germany anybody can do it without getting lost!! :p

What's your little crappy town called?????

And if I go by train, I never get lost. (as long as I speak the language(s) of the country concerned)

I managed to get to Wacken by train every year. (Itzehoe and the rest by bus) And I started in al even crappier town. (Best in NL)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

dittohead

4 Feb. 2003
Sodomy&Lust schrieb:
If Ditto managed to travel from Amsterdam to my little crappy town in Germany anybody can do it without getting lost!! :p
i got lost in hannover ;)
thats why it took me 1hr to get a ticket to BS..and missed my train, took a slow train...grr :p

but i blame DB :D

Kat_Malin

14 Apr. 2005
thanks for your help everyone!

www.ns.nl told me this:

"Is is possible that tickets for some of the selected international destinations are not for sale in Holland.
Reservation of seats is mandatory when traveling with Thalys, Eurostar, CityNightLine or TGV. A special ticket is required.
Call for further information: 0900-92 96 (EUR 0,35 p.m.)."

phoning holland should cost me a bomb so that's not an option.

the german site says:

"Pricing information not available"

i think that's cos august is quite far away. i get results when i search for a few weeks time. so i guess the answer is wait until july then try again.

thanks so much for your help, i will make it to wacken!

Kat xx

Brat

W:O:A Metalhead
26 Feb. 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
hi kat
it's too early to reserve tickets for Wacken through DB

but you don't need to from Hamburg to Itzehoe

also Amsterdam to Hamburg only takes about 4 hours (if I remember correctly) by ICE train. All you need to do is reserve your seat/buy your ticket the day before you leave - I think there's a train every hour...
can't remember exactly.

Just for your info I did the trip in the other direction after Wacken.

if you want an estimate on cost, go back to the DB site and just check the trains and prices available on the day you want to travel but with next week's date...

also in the summer DB also have specials for travel to major international cities - last year it was 29 Euro

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Brat schrieb:
hi kat
it's too early to reserve tickets for Wacken through DB

but you don't need to from Hamburg to Itzehoe

also Amsterdam to Hamburg only takes about 4 hours (if I remember correctly) by ICE train. All you need to do is reserve your seat/buy your ticket the day before you leave - I think there's a train every hour...
can't remember exactly.

Just for your info I did the trip in the other direction after Wacken.

if you want an estimate on cost, go back to the DB site and just check the trains and prices available on the day you want to travel but with next week's date...

also in the summer DB also have specials for travel to major international cities - last year it was 29 Euro

I'm Dutch, not that is a good qualification, but I myself have done the trip (from Deventer though, but it's the same train). It took me about 6 hour's to get to Itzehoe.

The train to Hamburg is NOT a ICE-train, but an IC-train. It rides 4 times a DAY!!! (every 4 hours) and you have to change at Osnabrück Hbf.

Calling the 0900-9292 is impossible from abroad.

LEX

W:O:A Metalhead
12 Juni 2004
Mpls. MN USA
www.myspace.com
I've never found a significant discount in prepurchasing point to point train tix. After the fee/delivery it's more, for me at least.
Amsterdam centraal station has good info and you won't have a problem getting a train once you get there I'm sure. Once you get to Hamburg you can even get a ticket from a vending machine to get to Itzehoe I think. From there just follow the metalheads. :cool:
Oh, and the reservation thing they list on the schedule.....that doesn't mean you have to reserve WAY ahead. It just means you are supposed to get a ticket with a seat# before you board (it's rare they are sold out), unlike a lot of trains where you can sit anyplace and pay onboard in many cases.

Zuletzt bearbeitet: