THE (semi) DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO GETTING TO WACKEN

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Zombi schrieb:
Please make this a sticky!! Cause the info on the website is rather hard to understand.

Also please inform me of any mistakes and I will correct them. also, I tend to write in a rather longwinded way. Please tell me if it's not clear enough.

Important Links are below.

From the airport Lübeck - Hamburg City:
Thanks to Carpathian Wolf for extra info!

For passengers of Ryanair an airport bus will take you from Lübeck Airport to Hamburg ZOB (large busstation located right next to the Main Trainstation, you can't miss it) This bus will be there specifically timed to your arrival. Try not to miss it. The journey lasts 1:15h and costs 8.00 euros.

IMPORTANT: As Carpathian Wolf can tell you, on both arrival and departure it is important to get to the RyanAir buses EARLY. You DO NOT want to miss them as they do not run often.

If you are not going to take the Ryanair bus to Hamburg, then you will need to get a bus (the no.6) to the railway station. It lasts about 30min. Then the train station is about two minutes away (there should be signs pointing to where it is). Then take a train from Lubeck to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof which is the main station in Hamburg. Should be about under 10 euros if Carpathian Wolf remembers correctly. ;)

From Hamburg Airport to Hamburg City
SIMPLE BUT EXPENSIVE ROUTE:
Take the Airport Express bus from outside the Terminals (it stops at all of them) to the Hamburg Main Station (Haubtbahnhof). Costs roughly 5 Euros and takes half an hour.

MORE COMPLEX BUT CHEAPER ROUTE:
Take the other Airport Express Bus (LINE 110 !!) to the stop U/S Ohlsdorf. From there you take the trains S21 or S31 in the direction to the Hauptbahnhof (there is a list of stops on the platform). Get off at the Haubtbahnhof too ;) The whole trip costs 2,40. You need to get a ticket before you go. There is a ticket machine near the bus stop. Choose the number 3 (grossbereich) and pay the 2,40.

From Hamburg Mainstation to Itzehoe
Get a ticket and then a train to Itzehoe. Unfortunately, these do not seem to run all day, so....you go to Altona. Read on..

First you need to get to the trainstation ALTONA. You can take either the S1, S31 or the S2, remember, the stops are listed on the platform, so it's easy to get the one going in the right direction. The whereabouts of these trains are listed around the station. (in colour, too ;) ) If you haven't already gotten a HVV ticket from the trip to Hamburg station, then you need one. It costs 1,50 (number 2 on the machines) (the 5 euro Airport Express ticket will not take you to Altona)
When in ALTONA, you must find where the Regional trains go (not hard, there are symbols I believe leading the way). Get a ticket from the machines (they have options in english) or go to the booths. (They should speak english).
Then get on the train and BAM! you're there. The trip takes about an 45 mins.

From Itzehoe to Wacken
This parts easy. You just take the bus. There is a special shuttle bus. Timetable here: http://www.wacken.com/uploads/media/woa2005-shuttle-eng.pdf

if you arrive at Itzehoe earlier than the shuttlebus (eg monday blabla) there is a normal bus route as well. I believe the number 14.

but there will be people walking around and most of them are happy to help. Some even offered me a lift.

From Wacken to Campsite
Follow the smell.
(just kidding, the busstops right at the campsite entrance)

Getting to Wacken Via Remedy Records
(thanks to Lucretia)
Remedy Records is organizing shuttle busses. They are going from Subway Holstenstrasse (one station before Altona - again, check www.hvv.de for schedules) directly to Wacken festival area. Those shuttle busses make sense if you are staying in Hamburg for some days before Wacken. Its better to book the ticket in advance, and you might want to stop by at Remedy anyway and buy CDs and stuff. Booking the ticket one or two days before the festival should be OK. For details and reservation, check out www.remedy-records.de

Some Important Links (all are available in english)
http://www.bahn.de (German Trains)
http://www.hvv.de (The Hamburg Public Transport)
http://www.flughafen-luebeck.de/800/800.htm (lübeck airport)
http://www.flex.ag (the times of the Ryanair busses for getting back to lübeck airport)
www.jasper-hamburg.de (airport express busses)

I've been spamming a bit, lets push this again so ppl will see it.

mikemyres

W:O:A Metalhead
23 Nov. 2004
Hell from the shuttle from wacken to itzehoe on sunday, is that 2 buses? it goes on about letshehrhehhehzxer something, what does that mean "last bus @ 3"?

Zombi

10 Jan. 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
mikemyres schrieb:
Hell from the shuttle from wacken to itzehoe on sunday, is that 2 buses? it goes on about letshehrhehhehzxer something, what does that mean "last bus @ 3"?

yup last bus at 15.00. there are quite a few busses before that though. apparently 6 busses every half hour.

mikemyres

23 Nov. 2004
What if we miss it, is there a normal bus running to itzehoe?

I imagine the 3pm bus will be jam packed

Also when I go onto the train travel service, it gives me a huge list of itzehoe places like just plane itzehoe, itzehoe zob, itzehoe kranhouse bla, which do i need im guessing just plane 'itzehoe'?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
mikemyres schrieb:
What if we miss it, is there a normal bus running to itzehoe?

I imagine the 3pm bus will be jam packed

Also when I go onto the train travel service, it gives me a huge list of itzehoe places like just plane itzehoe, itzehoe zob, itzehoe kranhouse bla, which do i need im guessing just plane 'itzehoe'?
I don't know about normal busses in Hamburg/Lübeck.

There is only ONE station in Itzehoe. And that's called Itzehoe. The rest are bus stops, I guess. (ZOB=Zentral Omnibus Bahnhof = main bus station)

mikemyres

23 Nov. 2004
Nah I don't mean missing it to wacken, i'm on about the 3pm bus that takes us to itzehoe, if we miss that.....

mikemyres

23 Nov. 2004
sounds like the best idea.

On the shuttle bus info can someone please explain what that means on the right? it says about crossing the road or something and so on, which I don't understand

29 Juli 2005
Scotland
Ok I just joined the forum today and Im going to Wacken for the first time this year. I've been trying to work it out so I know exactly how to get there. I am flying with ryanair. If anyone can be bothered can you help me confirm I have this right that would be great.

When my plane arrives, you get the airport bus which takes you from Lübeck to Hamburg ZOB (the bus station) but after this I am confused with what happens, do you then go from the bus station where you arrive to the train station next door and get a train to Altona and once there a train to Itzehoe then finally once at Itzehoe you get a bus to Wacken?

Thank you if anyone can help and sorry if Im being stupid! :confused:

Lucretia

10 Okt. 2002
Hamburg
flamesoftheend schrieb:
When my plane arrives, you get the airport bus which takes you from Lübeck to Hamburg ZOB (the bus station) but after this I am confused with what happens, do you then go from the bus station where you arrive to the train station next door and get a train to Altona and once there a train to Itzehoe then finally once at Itzehoe you get a bus to Wacken?

yeah, this plan should work if you ask me!