Wacken Post-C19 speculation thread

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
I can't imagine how it could work this year. How far down the rabbit hole will W:O:A go before pulling the trigger on canceling?

I do not know the business end of festivals at all, but do worry they won't survive the financial cost if they hold out until April or May when planning and payments are well underway.

This all depends on the guaranties the government will give them.
I know that WOA is of great importance to the local economy of "kreis steinburg" which is the administrative area that Wacken is part of.
So they might get financial backing from them. But I guess in the end they'll ahve to pull the plug for this years event.

Nergal1444

W:O:A Metalhead
16 Sep. 2016
So far in Germany big events have been forbidden for the next few weeks (I have forgotten the date, it keeps beeing pushed back). Wacken will propably not cancel before a decision concerning festivals has been reached by the government - as a cancellation by themselves would have other repercussions and result in more cost/loss of insurance/no or less help from the state. Thus they will propably go ahead with careful planing until the government has decided about the summer. And that will take quite a few weeks, as vaccinations have just started and nobody yet knows what the situation will be in the summer. All we can do is wait.

Reaktionen: Doc Rock

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
To give you an idea.
Graspop gets its decision in March.
Hellfest sent an open letter to the Secretary of Culture in France. They'll meet each other next Friday (29-1). And, Ben Barbaud (Mr Hellfest) will, at the latest, decide in March as well. Depending on the outcome of the said meeting.

I found sources for this, but only in Dutch (Gras) or French (Hell). Don't know if you're interested in them.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
So far in Germany big events have been forbidden for the next few weeks (I have forgotten the date, it keeps beeing pushed back). Wacken will propably not cancel before a decision concerning festivals has been reached by the government - as a cancellation by themselves would have other repercussions and result in more cost/loss of insurance/no or less help from the state. Thus they will propably go ahead with careful planing until the government has decided about the summer. And that will take quite a few weeks, as vaccinations have just started and nobody yet knows what the situation will be in the summer. All we can do is wait.
And that's just the point!
WE can wait.
The organisations CANNOT wait for too long! It takes ages to build a good festival. If you know what to expect, it's easier than to be guided by the blindness of not knowing what to expect!
In other words, the sooner they know, the better for the festival itself.

Hemmer

8 Okt. 2017
MN, USA
I just saw this too. We all know there is a strong possibility that 2021 won't happen but it still hits the gut. Now we wait.....and wait.....and wait...

Nergal1444

16 Sep. 2016
Hellfest is in June. Wacken in August. A lot can happen in 2 months. I am sceptical about Wacken, but lets wait.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Well, I'll continue on HF, as I have the most info about that.

Festivals (open air!) can take place in France, for maximun 5,000 people, ALL seated, within social distance from each other.
So... Hellfest could've continued, if they were to organise it on that way. But... as there are approx. 70,000 tickets sold, 65,000 people would have been dissapointed! To start; all non metropolitan French residents! (problem with travel restrictions solved)
If I look at Belgium now, I cannot go abroard anywhere, until at least April 1! Not even to Baarle-Nassau (which is jumelated with Baarle-Hertog in Belgium), to cast my vote! (March 17)
So... with this in mind, IF the travel bans aren't lifted in, say, 2 months, Wacken will have to make the same choice! And I think Wacken will face the same restricions in organising a festival as does Hellfest now. (and I reckon Graspop will have to do too!)

Those restictions as mentioned above, are easier for smaller festivals. Like a Hörnerfest for instance. (2,000 people max, normal circonstances)

But again, it can change within 2 months.

smf4ever

12 Aug. 2016
Washington DC, USA
And Download... calls it for 2021 as well..

:(

<sigh>

I am prepared for the inevitable. I am happy (due to my job), that I just got my 1st vaccine. But we need everyday / all people for this shizzy to be done with.

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
looks like everything up to july is pretty much cancelled by now. but i guess in a few weeks all festival that are scheduled for july will be cancelled, and probably a few weeks after that the rest of the summer festivals will be cancelled.
I'm not expecting anything to go ahead as normal this summer

Hemmer

8 Okt. 2017
MN, USA
Have they even started advertising Metal Battles? If not, and IF this summer goes through, will there be no Metal Battle bands this year?

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
The Prime Minister of Schleswig-Holstein (the Bundesland that Wacken is in) wants it to continue! It was in an article I read last weekend (in German).

I wonder
a: how?
b: if at all is possible?

One of the things was, a ban on alcohol infields. But if that's going to happen?
Otherwise, for MB bands I don't see this happening yet, as there are still travel bans active here. UK, South Africa and the WHOLE of South America are not allowed to enter the EU/Schengen! And that'll remain for a while.

First, let's get vaccinated. But with the current tempo here, that can take 100 years. :rolleyes: