THE (semi) DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO GETTING TO WACKEN

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Quick question from a Wacken newbie. Coming from Canada I know nothing of the train system in Europe. Our group of 7 metalheads are arrive in hamburg at 9 PM Wednesday july 30th. Are trains running that late? How hard is it to navigate? Or would it be better to cab? Thanks alot for any input, been following this forum for a while!

Train run then.

www.bahn.de (is also available in English!)
Departure is HH (=Hamburg)
Destination is IZ (=Itzehoe)

17 Juli 2008
So from what I can understand we need to get to Altona station first, how far away is the station from the airport itself?

Also what is the reception Canadians normally get? I hear Americans can get a hard time?

The Rockit's

6 Jan. 2008
New England Sea Coast
The resourceful one that I am (and map geek and always need to know where I"m going) I looked at the Holiday Inn in the Altona district - "close to the Altona train station" and it says "Only 12 kilometers from the airport".

According to the map I have it's southwest of Altona.

Solskinn Av Natten

W:O:A Metalhead
28 März 2008
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
So from what I can understand we need to get to Altona station first, how far away is the station from the airport itself?

Also what is the reception Canadians normally get? I hear Americans can get a hard time?

I have been told several times to just show a Canadian flag on anything & everything I wear... in order to distinguish myself from Americans. I've never had any trouble visiting Europe before. I think you'll be ok :D

17 Juli 2008
Awesome, so are the S-Bahn and train stations easy enough to navigate for non-german speakers?

Also am I right to assume there is an S-Bahn station right at the airport itself?

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
Awesome, so are the S-Bahn and train stations easy enough to navigate for non-german speakers?

Also am I right to assume there is an S-Bahn station right at the airport itself?

The S-Bahn and U-Bahn are easy to navigate as the stops are listed on the platforms with a big network map and electronic next train signs.

As for the airport there isn't an s-bahn or u-bahn there not till 2009 i think!

The easiest way to Altona from the airport is take the Jasper Airport Express bus (About €5) to Hauptbahnof (central station). From there, there is a U-Bahn right next to the stop just get off the bus walk ahead and go down the steps I think it's U3 that goes to altona.

There is a cheaper way from the airport but if its your first time take the airport express as the other route is more complex involving local bus routes.

17 Juli 2008
As long as everything runs past 9PM when our plane comes in lol! Sorry for all the questions, we come from a much smaller city and have neither subways or local train service.

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
Zuletzt bearbeitet:

stachelmohn

16 Juli 2008
Hedwich Holzbein
There's also a bus from Hamburg Airport to Kiel and to Rendsburg, but I don't know how much it is... I'll just look it up, perhaps it could be interesting for the quite many people who come from foreign countries... Be right back :)

... Edit: There it is:
From monday to friday the bus "Autokraft Kielius" which has the number 4550 goes from Hamburg Airport at 07:05, 08:05, 09:05, 10:20; 11:20; 12:05; 13:05; 14:05; 15:05; and so on every hour at 5 past till 00:05.

To Kiel it takes about 1,5 hours and costs 17,00 €, to Neumünster about 1 hour for 14,50 €. In both Cities the bus stops directly at the Central Station from where you can go by train (from Neumünster there are about 60km left.)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

slayerofrage

26 Juli 2006
Stockport
www.isitbeeroclock.com
There's also a bus from Hamburg Airport to Kiel and to Rendsburg, but I don't know how much it is... I'll just look it up, perhaps it could be interesting for the quite many people who come from foreign countries... Be right back :)

... Edit: There it is:
From monday to friday the bus "Autokraft Kielius" which has the number 4550 goes from Hamburg Airport at 07:05, 08:05, 09:05, 10:20; 11:20; 12:05; 13:05; 14:05; 15:05; and so on every hour at 5 past till 00:05.

To Kiel it takes about 1,5 hours and costs 17,00 €, to Neumünster about 1 hour for 14,50 €. In both Cities the bus stops directly at the Central Station from where you can go by train (from Neumünster there are about 60km left.)

Thats an awful long way round!!