THE (semi) DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO GETTING TO WACKEN

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Thanks Quark!

One thing confuses me, though. The shuttle bus page at the main site says:

Schedule for Bustransfers to/from Wacken 29Jul - 03Aug 2008

Hamburg Remedy Records(Holstenstr.) - Wacken
Tue. 29.07.08| 20.00h
Wed. 30.07.08| 16.00h
Thu. 31.07.08| 10.00h | 14.00h
Fri. 01.08.08| 10.00h | 14.00h
Sun. 03.08.08|

Wacken - Hamburg Remedy Records(Holstenstr.)
Sun. 03.08.08| 04.00h | 09.00h | 10.00h | 11.00h

Hamburg Airport - Wacken
Tue.29.07.08| 20.00h
Wed. 30.07.08| 12.00h| 13.00h | 14.00 h| 16.00h (sold out) 18.00h
Thu. 31.07.08| 13.00h
Fri. 01.08.08| 13.00h
Sun. 03.08.08|

Wacken - Hamburg Airport
Sun. 03.08.08| 04.00h | 08.00h | 09.00h| 10.00h (sold out) | 11.30h | 12.00 h

Now, does that mean that there is a Remedy Records shuttle from their office to Wacken and back, and there is another shuttle that goes straight to the HAM airport?

-deadwinter

No. Shuttle bus form Itzehoe. Other page.
From Hamburg (=HH) airport there is no shuttle to Wacken, only to the city center. So... either take that one, or whatever is said in the *sticky* first post.

zachms

10 Juli 2008
I will be leaving for Itzehoe on the 31st. I know to get on S1 at the Reeperbahn station near my hotel and get off at Alton. Does the R60 train allow you to buy a ticket at the station and get on, or do you have to buy it in advance to get a seat?

Sinders

W:O:A Metalhead
10 Juni 2008
Australia
www.myspace.com
Can one of you knowledgable folk help me? I want to reserve 2 seats on the shuttle bus to and from Bremen - Wacken.

Is there a way to do this, as my German is nicht sehr gut?

Any help you can give would be great.

I wouldnt say I'm knowledgable as this is my first Wacken too, but I've already got a booking on the Bremen bus so can probably help you.

http://metaltravel.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=26

theres an email address on that page, just ask them to book your tickets. I did all mine in English. They send you an email reserving your place, then another one later requesting payment. I'm on the 1500 bus from Bremen Hbf on the 30th and returning on the 1130 bus on the 3rd.

Hope that helps :D

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
I will be leaving for Itzehoe on the 31st. I know to get on S1 at the Reeperbahn station near my hotel and get off at Alton. Does the R60 train allow you to buy a ticket at the station and get on, or do you have to buy it in advance to get a seat?

If I have to concider R60 a "regionalbahn" you don't reserve seats there. But it is DB rate, and therefore DB prices.
You can buy the ticket just before you leave.

The Rockit's

6 Jan. 2008
New England Sea Coast
Hmm if you already paid, it might make things more difficult... they tend to be really weird about getting back to you on things, so if you've already paid I'm not sure... hopefully they don't end up mailing it to you (assuming you live in the States). You'd think they'd know better, but you never know ;)

Speaking of tents, I was just thinking about something... they said in the email I could pick it up at the "info point" which I remember being at a grocery store, some distance down the road from the entrance to the festival (i.e. where the bus will drop us off.) Am I right in thinking we'll have to backtrack twice in order to get our stuff, or is there some other "info point" I don't know about?

Can you believe we received everything within a week!! So we'll end up carrying it all with us. Ugh. But I can't complain - they are making orders for how many people...a-bazillion - so we'll make do. And yes, we're coming from the states. \m/

No - the "info point/wristband" area is directly in front of a "supermarket" on the Wacken grounds and right in front of the "gates" to get into the stage area(s). So no backtracking needed.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
These DB rates, they don't sound so good.

Let's just say, DB is kind of expensive, unless you can have an offer.
And for someone living in Belgium, who doesn't have to pay a €urocent to use public transport.... ;)

Edit Piaf zegt: IF you are with a group of more then 2 persons, a Schlesswig-Hollstein-ticket or Schönes Wochenende-Ticket might be useful They're rather cheap and allow you to use all regional trains within Schlesswig-Hollstein or all of Germany (only on Saturdays & Sundays!!!)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Kate McGee

W:O:A Metalgod
13 Aug. 2002
Kronach
franconianpsycho.blogspot.com
Let's just say, DB is kind of expensive, unless you can have an offer.
And for someone living in Belgium, who doesn't have to pay a €urocent to use public transport.... ;)

Edit Piaf zegt: IF you are with a group of more then 2 persons, a Schlesswig-Hollstein-ticket or Schönes Wochenende-Ticket might be useful They're rather cheap and allow you to use all regional trains within Schlesswig-Hollstein or all of Germany (only on Saturdays & Sundays!!!)

Well, the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket is valid on all days, not only on weekends. The Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket ("nice weekend ticket") is for saturdays and sundays only.
But both are valid for one to five persons who get on the train at the same station.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Well, the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket is valid on all days, not only on weekends. The Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket ("nice weekend ticket") is for saturdays and sundays only.
But both are valid for one to five persons who get on the train at the same station.

Thanks Kate, I was rather confused myself this morning when I read my own message, but with your explanation with it...

rscruickshank

19 März 2008
Edinburgh
I wouldnt say I'm knowledgable as this is my first Wacken too, but I've already got a booking on the Bremen bus so can probably help you.

http://metaltravel.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=26

theres an email address on that page, just ask them to book your tickets. I did all mine in English. They send you an email reserving your place, then another one later requesting payment. I'm on the 1500 bus from Bremen Hbf on the 30th and returning on the 1130 bus on the 3rd.

Hope that helps :D

Getting annoyed now.

I've emailed them three times, with still no reply.

I really don't want to have to catch several different trains and buses. I was hoping to get an easy trip in this year, but they just aren't cooperating.

Thanks to all who have offered assistance. I'm just gonna have to start shouting at folk I think.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Getting annoyed now.

I've emailed them three times, with still no reply.

I really don't want to have to catch several different trains and buses. I was hoping to get an easy trip in this year, but they just aren't cooperating.

Thanks to all who have offered assistance. I'm just gonna have to start shouting at folk I think.

Well, if you're in Bremen, there's a direct train to Hamburg (Altona) where you have a CROSS PLATFORM change direct to Itzehoe.

rscruickshank

19 März 2008
Edinburgh
Thanks again for the help.

Turns out the Metaltravel guys did email me after my first request, but I didn't get the email. So I have got my full travel arrangements booked. Didn't have to shout at anyone, didn't have to use my very limited knowledge of German to book trains or anything.

Very happy.:D:D:D

Especially since last year it took us almost 24 hours to get to Wacken from Edinburgh.

Once again, thanks to all who helped, and especially to Quark for being such a fountain of knowledge and good advice.

(Urgh, did I just use smileys? I'm going home.)

17 Juli 2008
Quick question from a Wacken newbie. Coming from Canada I know nothing of the train system in Europe. Our group of 7 metalheads are arrive in hamburg at 9 PM Wednesday july 30th. Are trains running that late? How hard is it to navigate? Or would it be better to cab? Thanks alot for any input, been following this forum for a while!