THE (semi) DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO GETTING TO WACKEN

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Feicht

7 Juni 2008
Sandusky
Hmm that's cool, maybe I'll try it. I just have had "communications" problems with metaltix.com in the past, that's why I'm worried :)

Sinders

W:O:A Metalhead
10 Juni 2008
Australia
www.myspace.com
Hmm that's cool, maybe I'll try it. I just have had "communications" problems with metaltix.com in the past, that's why I'm worried :)

I'm in the same position as you, I didnt really want to spend heaps on a tent and lug it around. I went partly through the process of ordering a tent and sleeping bag on the metaltix site, then sent them an email asking if i could pick it up at Wacken. (There didnt seem to be an option to select 'pick up at wacken' before entering credit card details....) They replied and said they'd reserved the tent & bag and I could pick it up at wacken, just print the email and show them, and pay cash. Easy!

Feicht

7 Juni 2008
Sandusky
I'm in the same position as you, I didnt really want to spend heaps on a tent and lug it around. I went partly through the process of ordering a tent and sleeping bag on the metaltix site, then sent them an email asking if i could pick it up at Wacken. (There didnt seem to be an option to select 'pick up at wacken' before entering credit card details....) They replied and said they'd reserved the tent & bag and I could pick it up at wacken, just print the email and show them, and pay cash. Easy!

Ah, that's what I ended up doing for my ticket last year. I guess I can try to email them and see what they say. Thanks dude \m/

Feicht

7 Juni 2008
Sandusky
DAMN, I just got an email back from metaltix about the tent reservation and all that, and it only took a day. This so far holds the record as the smoothest transaction with them yet :)

Thanks for the help guys :cool:

sfpphil

27 Juni 2008
TV Show

Hello,

I'm working on a new US TV series about music festivals around the world and we're very excited to be going to Wacken this summer.

The show focuses on the fan experience so we'd love to get some tips and recommendations from people on the forum.

I just read about the Metal Train from Stuttgart to Itzehoe and it sounds awesome, but the posted link didn't work. Could anyone tell me a little more about it? When does it run? How many people usually ride? Etc.

Are there any drinks other than beer that are popular at the festival?

What are some favorite activities people do when they aren't watching a performance?

Where are the best after parties? Just in the campgrounds?

Any places nearby of any interest?

Anything you can tell me would be great. Can't wait to get there!

Cheers

Phil

The Rockit's

6 Jan. 2008
New England Sea Coast
I ordered (actually bought a tent - which I will leave with our friends in Switzerland - and a few other items) but want to pick it up there (and not travel with it from the U.S.). Nowhere did it ask if I wanted it held at the Wacken Info Office. Hopefully they will ask when I receive the confirmation e-mail. We shall see.

Feicht

7 Juni 2008
Sandusky
Hmm if you already paid, it might make things more difficult... they tend to be really weird about getting back to you on things, so if you've already paid I'm not sure... hopefully they don't end up mailing it to you (assuming you live in the States). You'd think they'd know better, but you never know ;)

Speaking of tents, I was just thinking about something... they said in the email I could pick it up at the "info point" which I remember being at a grocery store, some distance down the road from the entrance to the festival (i.e. where the bus will drop us off.) Am I right in thinking we'll have to backtrack twice in order to get our stuff, or is there some other "info point" I don't know about?

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
Thank you for this thread!

This is going to be my first Wacken, and I have zero idea what to do for accommodations and how to get there. So far it seems that I'll have to just fly into Hamburg or Lubeck and find my way to the campground...unless I can find this Metal train people keep mentioning.

I gather the consensus is that trying to stay at a hotel is a bad idea?

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
This is going to be my first Wacken, and I have zero idea what to do for accommodations and how to get there. So far it seems that I'll have to just fly into Hamburg or Lubeck and find my way to the campground...unless I can find this Metal train people keep mentioning.

I gather the consensus is that trying to stay at a hotel is a bad idea?

The first post of this thread will help you out.
The Metal Train (where people keep talking about) is SOLD OUT!

deadwinter

1 Juli 2008
The first post of this thread will help you out.
The Metal Train (where people keep talking about) is SOLD OUT!

Thanks Quark!

One thing confuses me, though. The shuttle bus page at the main site says:

Schedule for Bustransfers to/from Wacken 29Jul - 03Aug 2008

Hamburg Remedy Records(Holstenstr.) - Wacken
Tue. 29.07.08| 20.00h
Wed. 30.07.08| 16.00h
Thu. 31.07.08| 10.00h | 14.00h
Fri. 01.08.08| 10.00h | 14.00h
Sun. 03.08.08|

Wacken - Hamburg Remedy Records(Holstenstr.)
Sun. 03.08.08| 04.00h | 09.00h | 10.00h | 11.00h

Hamburg Airport - Wacken
Tue.29.07.08| 20.00h
Wed. 30.07.08| 12.00h| 13.00h | 14.00 h| 16.00h (sold out) 18.00h
Thu. 31.07.08| 13.00h
Fri. 01.08.08| 13.00h
Sun. 03.08.08|

Wacken - Hamburg Airport
Sun. 03.08.08| 04.00h | 08.00h | 09.00h| 10.00h (sold out) | 11.30h | 12.00 h

Now, does that mean that there is a Remedy Records shuttle from their office to Wacken and back, and there is another shuttle that goes straight to the HAM airport?

-deadwinter

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Are there any drinks other than beer that are popular at the festival?

Most strong stuff, also sparkling wine.
There's a Jack Daniels tent usually somewhere.

What are some favorite activities people do when they aren't watching a performance?
Me - Stand and listen mostly, sometimes headbang.
Others - Crowd surfing, mosh pit and other stuff.

Where are the best after parties? Just in the campgrounds?
Yes!

rscruickshank

19 März 2008
Edinburgh
Shuttle Bus help

Can one of you knowledgable folk help me? I want to reserve 2 seats on the shuttle bus to and from Bremen - Wacken.

Is there a way to do this, as my German is nicht sehr gut?

Any help you can give would be great.