The thread for old campers, but also new campers! What to take to Wacken!

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

PaulaLeeds

31 Mai 2015
Hi guys. I have posted elsewhere without any response sadly. Does anyone know the rules on BASIC bridge cameras ? The festival ABC has changed this year and I can't seem to get a response whether basic bridges are allowed, or whether it is just the professional ones with the interchangeable lenses.

Don't want to take my bridge if I can't use it, but don't want to buy another camera if I don't have to :(

wolfrider56

25 Juni 2015
Ice?

Hello friends,

First time going to Wacken. Amazing tips on what to bring and not to bring to the festival. I still have one question, which bothers me... Is ice available? I'm bringing a ton of beer, and I don't know about you guys, but I don't drink it warm. I've asked around some friends that have been to Wacken before, and they kind of don't know what to tell me.

I'll be arriving by car, so I don't have the option of the minibar or fridge that campers or RVs include.

Are there ice machines around the campsite, or at the supermarket?

Any and all help will be rewarded with beers at my tent.

PaulaLeeds

31 Mai 2015
Welcome Wolfrider56 ! In previous years ice has been available to purchase at the on site supermarket. I have no idea of price but please be assured you have the ability to keep your beer cool !

Darkfang

W:O:A Metalhead
I'm returning to Wacken in 2016 and compared to 2014, I will camp on site. My question is, do I rent a tent on site or bring my own ?

I'll probably be in Italy next year and I will take to plane to either Belgium (to see Quark) or Hamburg. I looked at the spec for Hand luggage with Alitalia and is 8kg and dimensions are 55cm x 35cm x 25cm.

With your experience, with a backpack similar to this (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/camping-backpack-for-outdoor-sports/384052961.html) it is ok to add also the tent ?

Do you also bring a inflatable mattress, sleeping bag ??

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
I'm returning to Wacken in 2016 and compared to 2014, I will camp on site. My question is, do I rent a tent on site or bring my own ?

I'll probably be in Italy next year and I will take to plane to either Belgium (to see Quark) or Hamburg. I looked at the spec for Hand luggage with Alitalia and is 8kg and dimensions are 55cm x 35cm x 25cm.

With your experience, with a backpack similar to this (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/camping-backpack-for-outdoor-sports/384052961.html) it is ok to add also the tent ?

IMO Don't even worry about the mattress if Wacken is your only festival, but do pack an insulation mat. I've found the grounds at Wacken to be EXTREMELY comfortable to sleep on so I say you're better off sleeping on the ground. Having a sleeping bag is pretty essential; it usually doesn't take long to get cold after dark. You're talking to a Queenslander here, but after my very first morning in Wacken, I met a kid from New Zealand who woke up early and not looking particularly comfortable, because he forgot to pack his sleeping bag, so...

In the past I have packed basically everything except for the kitchen sink (including things in preparation of "what if my relatives take me somewhere fancy?")...still came to about 22kg all up (checked and hand luggage together). Mind you, a decent camping chair didn't fit in my luggage so I was left to buy one when I got there (after which I re-gift to one of my German friends).

Milkie

23 Juli 2013
Hellsinki, Finland

I had a backpack like that and attached a sleeping pad and a tent to it and it was okay. The tent packages are usually quite thin though so you might want to put some tape or something. Also you should put your backpack into a big plastic bag, at least if you attach things outside the bag.

And I'd say that mattress is something you can deal without, sleeping pad is just fine. Mattress takes also a lot space in bag.

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland

I don't know. But if you're willing to spend the money and dont want a hassle I'd say rent a tent.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Gash

26 Sep. 2006
Gelderland
www.last.fm
What kind of backpack do you use ?

I don't want my pack to be a "checked" baggage and pay extra cash.

Beware that the amount of cabin luggage you can take is very limited (small bags of 5-10 kg mostly). I think you'll need to go for at least one checked bag if you want to take everything you need (and then I'm only talking about the basic stuff).

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
What kind of backpack do you use ?

I don't want my pack to be a "checked" baggage and pay extra cash.

If I'm correct, you can bring in 20 kilos as luggage (that has to be checked in) for free. However, you cannot bring in more than 2 bags that have to be checked in. Any extra bag (no hand luggage) costs US$50/€46 (depending on the rate/air line).
So, if you bring ONE backpack, I reckon you won't be in trouble. Unless you bring your whole camping gear with you, such as chairs etc. But a big flight suitcase will do the trick as well. I did when going to Hellfest this year. (though by train)

Milkie

23 Juli 2013
Hellsinki, Finland
If I'm correct, you can bring in 20 kilos as luggage (that has to be checked in) for free. However, you cannot bring in more than 2 bags that have to be checked in. Any extra bag (no hand luggage) costs US$50/€46 (depending on the rate/air line).
So, if you bring ONE backpack, I reckon you won't be in trouble. Unless you bring your whole camping gear with you, such as chairs etc. But a big flight suitcase will do the trick as well. I did when going to Hellfest this year. (though by train)

For some airlines you have to pay for every single checked bag. For example the last two times I've booked flights for Finnair, they didn't include any checked luggage.

Darkfang

I don't want to check any luggage. I will probably fly with Lufthansa and their carry on baggage restriction are 55 x 40 x 23 cm and 8kg. I hope it will be enough. At least, I don't have a tent/chair with me.

I should be good with a sleeping bag, underwear and a box of baby wipes, right ?? :ugly::ugly::ugly:

Milkie

23 Juli 2013
Hellsinki, Finland
I don't want to check any luggage. I will probably fly with Lufthansa and their carry on baggage restriction are 55 x 40 x 23 cm and 8kg. I hope it will be enough. At least, I don't have a tent/chair with me.

I should be good with a sleeping bag, underwear and a box of baby wipes, right ?? :ugly::ugly::ugly:

If you don't bring tent with you, you might be okay. :D And of course you can buy some shirts etc in Wacken. But are you gonna check luggage when you go back home?