The David Lynch Discussion-Thread

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

monochrom

W:O:A Metalmaster
15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
:D
As Rosk seems to be a fan of Lynchs work, too, I'll open this thread for discussions about the master of the uncomprehensible.

I've read everywhere in the net (and people keep telling me) that the mistery man in "Lost Highway" symbolizes death. Does that make sense? Isn't he more like an ancestor guiding spirit, who asks the right questions and opens the right doors?

And is it so important that eveything has to have one sense? I love the way Lynchs film work in a different way on me every time I see them.

Let's see if there are some other addicts amongst you...

Rosk

W:O:A Metalhead
30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Great topic Mono!!! :D

It's a really interesting point of view you have about the Mistery Man. I've always been intrigued by this character (when I saw the party scene for the first time I was shocked) but I've never seem him like Death.... For me, he is the link between the two worlds shown in the movie, the only one who can trespass the gap (ands even being in two places at the same time). I read somewhere that he might me Fred's unconscious..... but I doubt it...

I don't really think everything has sense in the ordinary way.... This guy might be there just as an excuse for Lynch to develope the story and be the necessary link between Fred and Pete...
(and now I think I really don't make sense here :))

Don't you think there's a little similarity between this Mistery Man and the one shown in Mullholand Drive(the one who is at Winkey's parking lot)???

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Rosk:
It's a really interesting point of view you have about the Mistery Man. I've always been intrigued by this character (when I saw the party scene for the first time I was shocked) but I've never seem him like Death.... For me, he is the link between the two worlds shown in the movie, the only one who can trespass the gap (ands even being in two places at the same time). I read somewhere that he might me Fred's unconscious..... but I doubt it...

I was shocked too - it totally hit a nerve. Yes he is a linker of worlds - but it is also like he shows Fred Madison how to do the trick. I mean, changing worlds, swapping bodies, travelling the lost highway. For me he was a little like a totem spirit in that way. He is also the only one who speaks any truth to Madison - even though the truth is hard to stomach. But no totem spirit would have mercy either.

Rosk:
I don't really think everything has sense in the ordinary way.... This guy might be there just as an excuse for Lynch to develope the story and be the necessary link between Fred and Pete...
(and now I think I really don't make sense here )

No, I think you make sense in a very Lynchean way.

I actually think that Pete was dead, his spirit was travelling down the lost highway to the place where spirits go, where he encountered the travelling spirit of Fred. They swapped, for a time. And that is why Petes parents are so disturbed - they saw him die.

Rosk:
Don't you think there's a little similarity between this Mistery Man and the one shown in Mullholand Drive(the one who is at Winkey's parking lot)???

Yes, I guess there are parallels. Creatures from the dark edges of the world they are, and we find quite a lot of them in Lynchs worlds. The cowboy in Mulholland Drive, Killer Bob from Twin Peaks, the Lady in the Ventilator in Eraserhead. The creature at the parking lot is terrifying, holey moley...

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
This is great mono :) I have my big grin on my face

Originally posted by monochrom

I was shocked too - it totally hit a nerve. Yes he is a linker of worlds - but it is also like he shows Fred Madison how to do the trick. I mean, changing worlds, swapping bodies, travelling the lost highway. For me he was a little like a totem spirit in that way. He is also the only one who speaks any truth to Madison - even though the truth is hard to stomach. But no totem spirit would have mercy either.

Yeah, that's a great explanation to this character :D

I actually think that Pete was dead, his spirit was travelling down the lost highway to the place where spirits go, where he encountered the travelling spirit of Fred. They swapped, for a time. And that is why Petes parents are so disturbed - they saw him die.

That's what I really think too!! That's why their parents are so surprise to see him again.

Yes, I guess there are parallels. Creatures from the dark edges of the world they are, and we find quite a lot of them in Lynchs worlds. The cowboy in Mulholland Drive, Killer Bob from Twin Peaks, the Lady in the Ventilator in Eraserhead. The creature at the parking lot is terrifying, holey moley...
That's why I see Lynch as a genius... He can really give a deep and dark meaning to happy accidents like Killer Bob in Twin Peaks, do you know how this character was born????

And yes, I jumped out of my seat the first time I saw that parking lot creature :D

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
That's why I see Lynch as a genius... He can really give a deep and dark meaning to happy accidents like Killer Bob in Twin Peaks, do you know how this character was born????

And yes, I jumped out of my seat the first time I saw that parking lot creature

Yes, I read the book "Lynch on Lynch" where he tells how he found Bob by chance - incredible. I mean, it is hard to even barely imagine a Twin Peaks without Bob. Yet almost there would have been one.

When we were watching Mulholland Drive, and the parking lot scene started with the guy in the restaurant, a friend of mine who was sitting beside me said "Shit, this is going to be horrible". I had the same feeling. A nightmare you can't escape - which is exactly what the young man is facing. He has dared to search for answers, now, unfortunately, he will get them.

One thing that was interesting about Mulholland Drive is that girls tend to see the movie so positive. I loved it, but oh boy what did I have to get through. Most of the girls I talked to just described it as beautiful.

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico

Yes, I read the book "Lynch on Lynch" where he tells how he found Bob by chance - incredible. I mean, it is hard to even barely imagine a Twin Peaks without Bob. Yet almost there would have been one.

He didn't even had a proper ending for the picture until he found that accidental scene where Bob was hidding besides Laura's bed!!!! If that's not a classic I don't know what it is :D:D:D

When we were watching Mulholland Drive, and the parking lot scene started with the guy in the restaurant, a friend of mine who was sitting beside me said "Shit, this is going to be horrible". I had the same feeling. A nightmare you can't escape - which is exactly what the young man is facing. He has dared to search for answers, now, unfortunately, he will get them.

That part is really disturbing. I remember also the first time and I was really expecting something really ugly too... It's always scary to confront your own fears and nightmares and this one turned out very bad

One thing that was interesting about Mulholland Drive is that girls tend to see the movie so positive. I loved it, but oh boy what did I have to get through. Most of the girls I talked to just described it as beautiful.

You won't believe me, but you're actually the first person with whom I'm discussing this movie. It wasn't even properly released here in Mexico. I had to order the DVD as soon as it came out and I watched it on my own (and home alone). I would love to play it for a girl and see what her reactions are... There's quite a lot of interesting subjects to discuss with a femme

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
Do that, after some discussions I get the feeling that this is a girls movie - they seem to get even more. One girl I talked too saw the blue box (The word in itself is intriguing) as a swich for a girls story in the city of dreams - when you open it and find the secret you loose the dream. Strange, but I liked that.

Lynch himself hinted that you had to watch the opening sequence closely - who is dancing with whom and so on. I still don't really get, I only have vague feelings. It is all about dreams, illusions and nightmares, but from which viewpoint do we see things? What is reality? Do you have to decide for yourself?

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Do that, after some discussions I get the feeling that this is a girls movie - they seem to get even more. One girl I talked too saw the blue box (The word in itself is intriguing) as a swich for a girls story in the city of dreams - when you open it and find the secret you loose the dream. Strange, but I liked that.
Yeah it's like a bizarre Thelma and Luise :D There are taboos like lesbians, woman dealing with success, woman being the investigators, so I guess I understand why girls can relate closely to this movie.
Lynch himself hinted that you had to watch the opening sequence closely - who is dancing with whom and so on. I still don't really get, I only have vague feelings. It is all about dreams, illusions and nightmares, but from which viewpoint do we see things? What is reality? Do you have to decide for yourself? [/B]

Yeap, on the DVD booklet Lynch lists 10 clues to solve the mistery and one of them is the opening secene. Sometimes I think he's only saying it about the bedroom shot at the very beginning (this is the same bedroom where they find Betty dead), but that's because I can't find anything on the dancing sequence :confused:

I think Lynch wants to say that nothing is reality, that all they are going through is fiction. In the scene @ Silencio he kind of suggests that: the "No hay banda" (there's no band), the lip synch, the singer dying on stage and the music a show going on immidiately after that. I really think he is saying "all of this is fiction, and it will continue whatever happens to you".... Oh man, that scene is really impressive, I think it's my favorite one.

What do you think????

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That scene has to be one of the best ever banned on screen, PERIOD! It is also the final argument against playback: That during, playback, a singer could die and the music would continue. I don't think an audience could take it. You just feel so much how wrong it is.

And then, thie other scene, where the black-haired girl disappears. If you know it's coming, it is just so beautiful the way she steals herself out of the camera. Marvelous camera work there.

I pitied these girls so much, what they had to go through, the nightmare - my female friends said that is okay because they act and therefore are not powerless. That is, I think, exactly what you said.

I haven't watched the dancing sequence again since I read this - but the aforementioned friend said that you could deduct that the elderly couple are the parents of the blond girl, who won a dancing contest.

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
:D I love this too... I have a big grin on my face right now :D

TheScene at Silencio actually made me cry. You can feel the singer suffering and you can feel these two girls relating their suffering to the song. It's just so powerful....

And yes the scene you're refering to is just wonderful. And there's a time in the picture where you totally feel miserable for both girls, but then the change comes and you see that none of them is really innocent, they do have a dark side too... and somehow they stop being just victims of all these weird stuff.

I really need to watch the movie again to catch all those deatils you're saying.

And speaking of elderly people, I haven't few things more sinister than the old couple similing in the taxi, after meeting Betty at the airport (one of the first clues)... and then when they appear again at the end of the film.....

monochrom

15 Aug. 2002
Hamburg
Website besuchen
There's so much frightening stuff going on - shocks like the man in the parking lot, or the elderly couple, or the constant fear of losing ones grip on reality. Or just little sickening scenes, when the elderly actor kisses the blond girl (She is called Betty, isn't she?) and it just goes on a little too long. Or the utter evilness of the director when he plays the scene in the car with the black-haired girl. Strong, strong emotions all the time, yet the actors play so Lynchian and don't do very much.

And, of course, the beauty. There is so much beautiful stuff in the movie, the girls are two diamonds, fuck Hollywood mainstream actresses! The story of the actress who plays Betty is in itself incredible, because she had already reached that age where agents go "Oh sorry, but you're too old". And she hadn't made it yet. And you can feel that, it is just perfect, her shining eyes when she comes out of the airport, and these ugly creatures accompany her...CREEPY!

And yes, everywhere there are opposites, different possibilities. The world is much weirder than in Lost Highway where you can access different worlds, or Twin Peaks, where you have to search for the unexplicable. It's jumping right at you in Mulholland Drive, it's everywhere, and even that is unstable.

I dread the day when David Lynch discovers children...It would be like "Fanny and Alexander" on bad acid.

Rosk

30 Mai 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Yeah, the al around evilness vs beauty is Lynch's trademark. I abosultely love the way he always his actors look evil, innocent, and with a tiny (if not huge) amount of mental illness. You could easily see it's Lynch directing just by looking at the expression of the actors.

And yeah... I hope Lynch does a movie with childs, as does little fellows are scary in nature.

Metalsulm

12 Mai 2002
Südwesten
Website besuchen
Originally posted by Rosk
Go ahead Sulmi!!!!! And join the discussion too!!!

What do you think about Twin Peaks????

Got special Feelings about that series..

Cos i saw it at a special time, when i was unemployed.... i always saw it at night..when i was alone....these dream-sequences scared me somehow...but it was more than only scaring...a kind of a thrill...

i just couldn´t wait to see the next episode...

...sometimes it was so unreal...just like i felt at that time...