Suggestions for improving Wacken ...

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Shukri

12 Aug. 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
www.cauterized.com
Okay, there are lots of threads going on with some great suggestions for how to improve the festival. How about we start a proper one, keep it short and concise, and then hopefully we can put all the points together and email them to the organizers? Or at least we can discuss them amonst ourselves properly ....?

These are mine, but a lot of them have already been stated by other forum members.

1) A limit on how people can attend
2) Cleaner toilets
3) Cheaper food
4) A ban on stalls selling pirated t-shirts
5) Drinking water available inside the stage area.
6) No cameramen standing infront of bands on stage
7) Bins in the camping area
8) Move the wet stage closer to the other stages
9) Shorter set-lists. That 2 hour Blind Guardian set was overkill
10) More bands with more styles. More grind, more prog, more classical. Less total death metal vs total true metal.
11) Set up a fifth stage. More stages means lesser people at each stage.
12) Better preparation for bad weather.
13) A large board, or several large boards, with the latest running times and orders. Very important in the event of suddent changes.
14) Put the stages at BOTTOM of the hill, not the top. This creates an amphitheatre effect, so shorter people can also see the bands.
15) Create a media tent. This is a place where any band member (as in band member attending the festival as a regular fan) can go to meet zine and magazine editors / journalists, hand out demos/promos, even do impromtu interviews.
16) Move this damn urinals next to the main stages. By Saturday night the piss from those things runs down straight next the main stages right into the crowd area. Disgusting !
17) More Wacken shuttles. It's okay getting to the festival, but everyone wants to leave at exactly the same time.

Please post yours! I'll try to think of more ....

gnoff

W:O:A Metalmaster
9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
1) Don't know if one really can complain about this, but it would be great if the guards/info poeple hired for Wacken knew some basic english.
I'll try to improve the very little german I know till next year, but its hard for us non-german speaking poeple when they just shrug their shoulders and don't know what you need help with.

2) If you like me bought a programm magazin on Saturday after loosing the first one during Friday night, why not have a sheet of paper or at least word of mouth right there about known band changes?

3) Try to get people to turn in garbage somehow, now several thousand beer cans, water bottles and stuff like that lie everywhere and it looks like hell. Would probably save a lot of money instead of cleaning it up afterwards.

4) When you put out an online map before the festival, you really should build the festival site like that also. I searched for th earea where to exchange my ticket for a bracelet for a very long time after the map, which was not correct at all. Also when we decided to meet with forumlers at the beer stand at camp site D and then there was no beer stand. Stuff like that.

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
I don't know about the set lengths...2 hours is a bit much for a festival show, but 90 minutes isn't unreasonable. That's the main reason why Wacken is so superior to the crap US fests I've been to, where even the headliners only get 30-45 minutes. (and if you're Sentenced, playing your first show in North America for fans who drove a thousand miles or more to see you, you get cut off after two songs! lol...).

I STRONGLY agree with #5 and #14. I almost missed Stormwitch because of the long walk into town Saturday morning to the BP station to buy water. Would it really hurt the venors inside the stage area to sell non-sparkling water as well? And putting the stages uphill from the crowd just doesn't make sense at all...I'm 6'2" and I still had trouble seeing over peoples' heads sometimes.

I think a sitting area with tables and benches within the actual stage area would be great as well...similar to the "beer garden" outside. I mean, after standing so long, sometimes you just want to sit down...and it doesn't help matters that the cleanliness of the ground you're sitting on is questionable (as per item #16, lol!).

Sodomy&Lust

13 Apr. 2002
Madrid - Spain
Don't take the third too seriously...

1-Hot water in the showers!!!
2-A bigger entrance to the wet stage (was very difficult to enter there to see Eisregen --> in fact I didn't)

hmmm....

3-One McDonalds restaurant inside the festival area!! :D

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Originally posted by gnoff
1) Don't know if one really can complain about this, but it would be great if the guards/info poeple hired for Wacken knew some basic english.
I'll try to improve the very little german I know till next year, but its hard for us non-german speaking poeple when they just shrug their shoulders and don't know what you need help with.

I'll quote myself :D

Started to freshen up my German now, so maybe next year I can speak some German down there :)

Shukri

12 Aug. 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
www.cauterized.com
cool idea

I want to try that too ... learn some German, so I can at least get the basics. I've already got 2.1 Germanic languages (Afrikaans and Danish, the .1 is a smattering of Swedish), so maybe by next year I'll be able to say "I missed the fucking train to Itzehoe and can't figure out which platform to take to get to Erholm because these goddamn train schedules make no sense!!!!" in fluent German.

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Re: cool idea

Originally posted by Shukri
I want to try that too ... learn some German, so I can at least get the basics. I've already got 2.1 Germanic languages (Afrikaans and Danish, the .1 is a smattering of Swedish), so maybe by next year I'll be able to say "I missed the fucking train to Itzehoe and can't figure out which platform to take to get to Erholm because these goddamn train schedules make no sense!!!!" in fluent German.

LOL

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Planning to visit some friends in Sweden next year. Perhaps I should try to learn some Swedish stuff [/B]

It would be nice if someone bothered to learn Swedish :D

But as long as you know that you will most likely get by fine with english in our country :)

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
You're right, not very comon at all :)

Some people say it's diffucult as well, don't know anything about that :D

Tell me if there's something in Swedish you want help with, and I'll try to help you out :)

Like I do in the german forum, I write all my posts in german, english and swedish :D

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Originally posted by Supercharger
hahaha If you want to learn a difficult language..try Dutch..:D

:D :D

I can sort-of read dutch, seems sometimes that if you know swedish, english and german, you can guess what the words are...
But if someone is talking, no way!
:D

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish all seem pretty easy, actually, at first glance. I really haven't gotten into learning them yet, but I did pick up a book called "Teach Yourself Swedish" the other day...hey, it was only $2. :D

Now Finnish on the other hand...talk about a nightmare!!! I've heard it's so complex that most Finns don't even understand it, lol!

I need to learn some German anyway for next year...I better get started now...