Some thoughts on German metal fans

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Shukri

12 Aug. 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
www.cauterized.com
Okay, I just had to say it. German metalheads rock! I've been to Germany thrice, and I can't believe how friendly you guys are, as well as how crazy you are about metal. I live in Denmark, but I'm originally from South Africa. I've exerienced unfriendliness and open racism in both South Africa and Denmark, and while I'm not saying that Germany is perfect, what surprises me is how many FRIENDLY and WARM people you meet. Total strangers who want to talk to you just because you're wearing a Nasum t-shirt, or are singing along to Sodom, or whatever. Here in Denmark most people like to act like you don't exist .....

And what's really weird is that many Germans don't even speak english that well, but dammit, they try. That's a lot more than you get in many other European countries (I won't mention names).

So anyway, I just want say to all the Germans out there, especially all those ones who offered me beer, handshakes and friendly conversation at Wacken and in Hamburg, thanks a lot. You guys are what metal is all about!

mugabe

W:O:A Metalhead
7 Aug. 2002
Avesta, Sweden
www.kurtz.se
What is the average age of the visitors? I imagine it's a bit higher than at other open air festivals. The relics at Wacken are probably too old and tired to stir up any major trouble. :)

/mug

Shukri

12 Aug. 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
www.cauterized.com
Not too old I reckon

There are some really old guys at Wacken, but I think the vast majority of people there are pretty yound - early 20's I would guess.

Sometimes you walk back to you tent and some huge drunk German fan staggers over to you from out of the dark and you think "ok, this is it. I am about to get pounded..." and he just wants to say how brilliant he thought Bruce Dickensons's set was, and how you should come over to his crowd and have a beer with them ....

... I expected far more trouble than I experienced. In South Africa there were always fights at shows. When people got drunk, they often got mean. The same definitely goes here in Copenhagen.

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to get tanked at a festival like this. Too many bands to see. Most of the time, it's my first chance to see the band, so I want to be as sober as possible to remember the moment.

Lordwalter

23 Apr. 2002
Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
www.metal-daze.com
Dear Shukri,

I agree 150% with you!

The concerts in Argentina are a great brotherhood too. There you can have a conversation with the most metalheads without any problems too. But it´s not the same.

I mean, I love Argentina, but Germany is for me the greatest fu..ing land when we speak about Metal. I had the same feeling like you at the festival, and also at all the concerts I have visited in the past years.

Thank you people in Germany for being so great!

£ugnåsådh

25 Nov. 2001
Mainz
Website besuchen
it´s really nice to hear about that.
especially if you read about people which didn´t really know what to expect from germany and us germans. not that i was expecting anything different than what you were describing. :D

you know, we´ve been busted on enough. :mad:

so feel free to visit us again!! :cool:

Bramadeus

23 Dez. 2001
Hellgium
herfst.deathmetal.be
About German metalfans, they are often quite sympathetic and friendly but on the other hand not quite the most refined specimen eh ?
Often they are quite loud and obnoxious, and sometimes even a bit irritating when they are drunk and are bothering you somehow...

Maybe I was too sober or something hmmh

Shukri

12 Aug. 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
www.cauterized.com
yeah, but ...

Sure, drunk German metalheads are unrefined and irritating, but what are they doing? Trying to get you to have a beer with them, trying to help you set your tent up (and then they collapse on it), trying to tell you how much they love Kreator too (in very broken english) with puking next to you, etc etc.

The point? They're generally friendly when they're drunk. Compare that to English or Danish (or South African) metalheads, who can get REALLY aggressive and nasty. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have someone be unrefined than violent. Kinda like when I was watching Napalm Death at WOA 2001. There were two really big, drunk english fans there moshing with their elbows. A few huge, drunk Germans pushed 'em aside in a firm but friendly manner, and the rest of us could get back to watching the band, instead of watching out for elbows in our eyes.

I'm not trying to stereotype people here ... rather, I'm trying to do the opposite. I'm tired of the stereotype that Germans are hostile, cold and unfriendly. I've seen plenty of the opposite, and I just want to share that.

MAIDEN

22 Juni 2002
ITALIEN-ROM
utenti.lycos.it
DAEUTSCHLAND IST WELTWUNDER!!!!!!!!!!
ICH LIEBE!

There are true metal people, true metal music, true meytal band!
People are fantastic, allit's wunderbar!
I love it's ever in my mind , i've lost my heart in Germany.

-Maiden-

Wackianne

29 Nov. 2001
Nijmegen
beam.to
Wow, this is a huge compliment to German metalheads, I´m really happy to read this! What a pity that it´s not always like that in other countries...
Well, you know, we love to have you people here - it´s so great that Wacken is so international!

PS. Maiden, I´ve lost my heart in Rome instead :)

Supercharger

W:O:A Metalmaster
26 Juli 2002
Deventer, the Netherlands
Website besuchen
Hmm lost my heart (and almost broke my spine)
in Brussels because of the huge amounts of really nice pubs and killer Belgian beer. It's simply the best in the world. All hail Leffe Dubbel, Blond and Trippel!! Hell yeah

Yeah German metalheads are really friendly even when they're drunk. I prefer them sober anyway hahaha

Evenfiel

4 Mai 2002
Most metalheads usually are very friendly, even if they are under influence of the holy water. I know a pub owner who has a pub near a metal venue, and he's always happy when there are metal concerts because thats when he sells more beer and he never had any problem with drunk metalheads.