Random queries

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Anyone know if the vendors on the festival grounds take plastic?

No.
Short but only answer I can give.
ATMs are there and reliable! Even if it means waiting in line.

BTW. Shops in Germany aren't that easy to pay with foreign plastic either. It's getting better and better, but expect sometimes a "no", if you want to pay with foreign cards.

So far I know gas stations will accept them. But if not, you can find an ATM there IN the shop!

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
You can cut back significantly on food costs though by stocking up at the supermarket. One of those portable or disposable grills plus some meat will work fine, along with some other snacks, fruit, canned stuff, and whatever else you like to eat, and drinks of course.

No problem. I'm curious though, where are you from?

Originally from Los Angeles. In Hawaii right now though. Just used to going out drinking and finding anything I craved somewhat ready available at a drive-through or convenience store. This is a bit longer though than a single night on the town. :p Plus I don't want to miss any of the action during show times.

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
Originally from Los Angeles. In Hawaii right now though. Just used to going out drinking and finding anything I craved somewhat ready available at a drive-through or convenience store. This is a bit longer though than a single night on the town. :p Plus I don't want to miss any of the action during show times.

Yea, you have to plan a bit when you travel, or else it gets expensive. :D At least at festivals. I wouldn't worry about missing any bands though. Unless you plan on seeing every other band, there'll be time to check out the supermarket. Especially in the mornings - I don't think bands start until what, 10 or 11am or so? Something like that. Even later on Wednesday.

agresionpower

22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland

Hawaii?
you should meet with 808metal than :D :p

Sipyloidea

19 März 2007
Hamburg station is pretty big, you might be able to stock up there if the stores stay open that late (maybe someone else can confirm this?).

Worst case scenario, just get to Wacken whenever and go to the market once it opens.
Not really. The stores in the Hamburg station are opened from 6am to 11pm.

The store in the village will (usually) open at 8am.

Coolness. I'll try and park around C then. Also (I know the Wi-fi thing is new so info on it is scarce), I'm wanting to have wireless acces with my laptop so I can download pics to it and post highlights for family and friend updates... I'm hoping anyways!
With a rental car I'd really not recommend C to park. People there tend to go some crazy sometimes. There was the "campground C war" where they threw full foodcans around, the incident when a car burned down and I recall someone telling me how people stuffed meat into his tank and he had it rot there until he finally noticed. I know some people here might disagree now, but in my experience campgrounds further away are more relaxed and sensible.

Originally from Los Angeles. In Hawaii right now though.
Another pineapple man :D

you can use the open-air bath (is that the correct term for "Freibad"?) of Wacken to shower, too, also you can swim a few meters there, or jump from the tower...

It is usually not too full there in the Morning.
It's "public pool". And true, you can (I used to do that) but they take money for going there now and that sucks big time. Plus the water is freezing, because the pool is actually shut down and they only put a fire hose in there for the festival.

I'll be traveling in the Munich area before Wacken. The train I'm looking at taking leaves about 18:00 and arrives in Hamburg at 00:40. So, after that I got a 10 minute walk or so to the Sixt car rental to pick up my car. I don't really have much chance on the way to pick up supplies unless I do so in Munich and carry it on the trains until I get the car. Since I got trunk space at that time I was hoping to stock up before finding a nice parking spot and leaving the car there for the festival.

Saw a video of a Wacken strip-dance type setup on you Tube. I figured something like that but I'm not 100% on German culture. I know prostitution is legal and the Full Metal Bag comes with a condom... :p That's about it!!!
I've never been to these markets but on the internet it says they're opened at night:

Nadi Markt
Steindamm 39
20099 Hamburg

Mo-saturday: 24h

Sky
eiffelstraße
20359 Hamburg

mo-thursday : 06am-midnight
Fr: 06am-02am
Sa: 06am-03am
Su: 10am-midnight

Well the condom is just a joke, plus safety first is a pretty good way to go ;) I'm just sure if a place like Wacken would include prostitution, that'd become a huge scandal, maybe they'd be shut down

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
So, figuring 8 beers a day (5 euro each) on average and 3 meals (5-10 euro each) then I should have about ~350 euro??? That sounds like alot. Anyone know if the vendors on the festival grounds take plastic?

I can't imagine you needing to spend more than half that amount on food and drink alone for the full duration of the event to be perfectly honest.
Have you acquired a debit card with euros on it yet?

Donngal

W:O:A Metalhead
12 Jan. 2010
Münster Gremmendorf
www.festivalisten.de
It's "public pool". And true, you can (I used to do that) but they take money for going there now and that sucks big time. Plus the water is freezing, because the pool is actually shut down and they only put a fire hose in there for the festival.

Yeah, true, but the other hand, they take money for the showers, too, and the showers are not that warm either.
The public pool has warm showers, too, but there is a waiting queue too, but not as long as the waiting queue at the showers on the campground.

Sipyloidea

19 März 2007
Yeah, true, but the other hand, they take money for the showers, too, and the showers are not that warm either.
The public pool has warm showers, too, but there is a waiting queue too, but not as long as the waiting queue at the showers on the campground.

Therefore you have to walk there like 5km :D Though I don't mind, I've actually loved going to the pool every year, but I just think others should have all the info to decide themselves, if they'd enjoy that too ;)

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
I can't imagine you needing to spend more than half that amount on food and drink alone for the full duration of the event to be perfectly honest.
Have you acquired a debit card with euros on it yet?

This is the first I've heard about a debit card with euros on it? Can I get that at a local bank? I don't think there is enough to time to order one and expect delivery before I start travelling. Wish I knew about this before! :p

I've got Visa and Master Card already though, so if it's a debit card like that then it won't help me much more than what I have. My thing is I don't want to wait too long in ATM lines, especially if they break down or become empty.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
Therefore you have to walk there like 5km :D Though I don't mind, I've actually loved going to the pool every year, but I just think others should have all the info to decide themselves, if they'd enjoy that too ;)

I'll ask about the "public pool" when I get to Wacken. With my car as my tent, and the bus mentioned before, distance is not an issue. Greatly appreciate the info.

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
With a rental car I'd really not recommend C to park. People there tend to go some crazy sometimes. There was the "campground C war" where they threw full foodcans around, the incident when a car burned down and I recall someone telling me how people stuffed meat into his tank and he had it rot there until he finally noticed. I know some people here might disagree now, but in my experience campgrounds further away are more relaxed and sensible.
Hmmm, I'll have to think about that. Was this a recent Wacken? I'm a little bit worried about the rental car being damaged but I think it's likely no matter where I would park, if it's likely at all.

I've never been to these markets but on the internet it says they're opened at night:

Nadi Markt
Steindamm 39
20099 Hamburg

Mo-saturday: 24h

Sky
eiffelstraße
20359 Hamburg

mo-thursday : 06am-midnight
Fr: 06am-02am
Sa: 06am-03am
Su: 10am-midnight

Thanks alot for the info. I'll be sure to check these out.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
This is the first I've heard about a debit card with euros on it? Can I get that at a local bank? I don't think there is enough to time to order one and expect delivery before I start travelling. Wish I knew about this before! :p

I've got Visa and Master Card already though, so if it's a debit card like that then it won't help me much more than what I have. My thing is I don't want to wait too long in ATM lines, especially if they break down or become empty.

If you go to your local Travelex they can set you up with one. Just go up to the window, tell them you want one with Euros on it and how much. They will then be able to transfer that money onto a card at the exchange rate that it is on that day. My memory is a bit rusty but I think I got my card and everything the same day, if not long after. They give you a card, instructions and a PIN, then you go online to change it to your own PIN or something. If you go over a certain amount you will get more for your money. To get an idea you should expect to get 3 cents per dollar less than what is advertised on the TV in finance news (as they put up the average, not the buying price) or up to 6c if you only put on a small amount.
Doing it this way you'll save on exchange fees, if you buy at the right time you will save more money, and if you run out of money on the card you can do phone banking to put more funds on it. It is seriously the most hassle-free way of doing it. If you do this and get like $100 more in cash money at the airport on the day you leave you'll be set.
My only warning is that some devious shop owners might ask if you want to "change it into" their currency to try and squeeze more money out of your card by changing it back to $US then back into euros, but I only ever experienced this sort of thing in the UK.

Anyway, like I already mentioned, if you estimate an amount you will want to play with and get it out in Hamburg you may even walk out of the festival with change as I did. If you stick to the metal markets, the camping grounds and the streets of Wacken itself there's no reason you should pay rediculous amounts of money on anything except fuel, basically. Trust me, unless you plan to purchase a new wardrobe then 300 euros is plenty for everything.

P.S. just incase you haven't been warned: 8 beers is 4L (or a gallon?) so you may not want 3 square meals per day anyway :p

Zuletzt bearbeitet: