Questions about Germany from the tourist POV.

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Tri-6

W:O:A Metalhead
13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
OK. So we are landing in Hamburg on 29.7.13 and then going up to Wacken on the Wednesday morning and staggering out on Sunday with the rest. So as someone who has never been to Germany, or Europe for that matter, would I be better suited you think going to Munich or Berlin for the next 3 days? I'd like to see the Berlin wall and that kind of stuff, but I'd also like to see traditional Bavarian type stuff too and the beer halls and all that. Plus a castle or something like that while I'm over. Any tips?

Koldawne

31 Aug. 2012
Aylmer, Quebec Canada
OK. So we are landing in Hamburg on 29.7.13 and then going up to Wacken on the Wednesday morning and staggering out on Sunday with the rest. So as someone who has never been to Germany, or Europe for that matter, would I be better suited you think going to Munich or Berlin for the next 3 days? I'd like to see the Berlin wall and that kind of stuff, but I'd also like to see traditional Bavarian type stuff too and the beer halls and all that. Plus a castle or something like that while I'm over. Any tips?

It depends on what you like. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Munich, it's gorgeous. I found the people super friendly and had no problems with anyone speaking English. We're big war history buffs so Munich gave us the chance to tour around Dachau concentration camp, the beer hall where Hitler had the 'beerhall Putsch", visit Hohenschwangau /Neuschwanstein Castles and also tour the Eagle's Nest. The city itself is gorgeous and I really wish we would have had more time there.

Berlin was almost completely opposite. The city has a very 'industrial' feel to it. I didn't find it as nice or welcoming. We didn't necessarily have any 'bad' experiences it just felt very different. While in Berlin we checked out the Reichstagg, Brandenburg gate, Berlin wall, Checkpoint Charlie and a few of the other Museums. The only green type space was the Tiergarten in the middle of the city (which was beautiful). There were a lot of beggars too - have to watch out for those!

We did a lot more things, those were just the highlights. Personally I would go back to Munich in a heartbeat but Berlin had more 'history'.

raylouie

13 Mai 2013
Colorado

I know the feeling. It'll be my first time in Europe. After the festival, I'm taking a train to Cologne and Amsterdam before heading home. Hope to see London next year after Wacken.