Need advice about planning for Wacken

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.
Hi guys. Next year will be my first time to go to Wacken (by myself no less), and I'm a little apprehensive; mainly about the planning. I have some questions.

First off - What is it like during the festival?
Which hotels or pensions are nice places to stay?
Which places should I avoid?
Are there any safety precautions I should take?

This Summer I was traveling through Germany alone, and I really didn't have any problems. But I know going to Wacken will be a very different experience, and I want to try and make it as problem free for myself as I can.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

DarthFreak

W:O:A Metalmaster
First of all....

YOU CAMP and dont go to a Hotel.... i would call it more "true" and i dont want to think about stuff like...

uhm shit where are my keys..... after some beer...

well only one thing more

bring lots of beeer and mead and meat and nothing should go wrong

Warthog

29 Mai 2002
Washington D.C., USA
www.wacken.us
Hey Child!

Great to have another American aboard! We'll be a presence indeed at WOA 2004! :D

What is it like at the festival? Noisy, smelly, FUN!!! :) Lots of mud, so watch your step. Beer concessions EVERYWHERE, decent food (especially for festivals! :eek: ), great sound! 40,000 headbangers strong - imagine Woodstock crowds but nothing but metalheads. Yeah, it's that fucking cool. :)

CAMPING is definitely the best option, because the party never stops that way - you go right from the festival to the campground with your beer supply in hand and you never have to worry about picking up shuttle busses back to a hotel. Remember - half the fun of Wacken is that it's a metalhead social event, and you can meet some truly interesting people from all around the world while partying at the campsite.

Hotels are available, but they're all booked solid waaaaaay in advance - if you have to have a hotel or hostel bed, you'll probably have to stay in Hamburg, which is about a 45 min drive away. I don't have any experience there, but some of the locals here could probably give you some recommendations.

Safety precautions? Buy water, and lots of it, beforehand. Most of the markets at Wacken (both on the festival grounds and in the town) only sell sparkling Mineralwasser, which tastes like quarry sludge. Don't be shy about bringing cash, because most places there won't take cards. Theft is rarely (if ever) a problem. DO NOT LOSE YOUR PASSPORT.

Wacken is way far north compared to anywhere in the US (except Alaska), so while it's warm during the day (nothing you won't be used to, living in Calif), it gets fuckin' cold late at night. Bring something warm to wear.

Other than that, it's a heavy metal experience like no other. :) With great bands you'll almost never (if ever) see in the US, and a great party atmosphere that you just won't find anywhere else. Bring a pen and some paper to exchange emails and such, because you're going to meet a lot of great people you'll want to stay in touch with even after you come back to these shores.

Oh, also, I'm working on a website at www.wacken.us, which I haven't worked on in forever. But I swear I'm going to finish it before next Wacken...really. :D

Hammered_gods

5 Sep. 2002
Czech Republic
Website besuchen
Well you don't need tent ...theoretically :D:D:D Best place to sleep is 1)under the beer tent 2)Outside,in front of your friend's tent 3)In your own vomits outside 4)in somebody else's tent at least true festival maniacs do so ;):D:D:D

dittohead

4 Feb. 2003
bring some fucking vodka and Jaegermiester .....youll be fine ...ill look after you ;) :D:D

dittohead

4 Feb. 2003
yeah thatr cool man :)
but try to hook up with ppl from the forum...make it more fun :)

erm just bring clothes, tent and sleeping bag
planning.....hmm
ok ok ok
arrive a few days before...maybe the tuesday
dont birng that much...cos youll either lose it, chuck it away or burn it to keep warm for the fuckin cold night...

LooseCannon

W:O:A Metalhead
3 Aug. 2002
Baltimore,Maryland USA
Website besuchen
It was my 1st time there last year.I did the camping thing.I now caught the camping bug.

I agree with everybody.Use the campgrounds.I didn't drink that much(because of my health) while I was there & nobody gave me shit about it.Hopefully they'll have the forum camp like they did last time.

Make sure you exchange your money at the airport before you leave.Don't do it a Heathrow(I got screwed over there).

LXE

W:O:A Metalhead
17 Juni 2003
Mpls. MN USA
LXE.US
I agree with the camping thing all the way! If your interested I am putting a group together thrue my travel company landing in Amsterdam for a few days before, then pland to take a party bus overnight to the fest where I will have tents allready set up for everyone (hopefully avoiding getting stuck with sites in the distant darkness) and stuff. It's going to be fun and I am good at keeping things very economical as far as travel. I'll probebly have some info on my website in a week or two but it's not up right now.....www.lxe.us Cheers!