Getting To Wacken - Help Needed from German guys

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Eledhon

28 Jan. 2002
Tampere, Finland
I hope you guys can help me out with this one. As my 8th time in Wacken closes in I'v decided to haul my ass to there on a different method.

I (and a few mates) will be picking up the cheapest possible flight from Finland to Germany. The problem is, with ryanair I can fly to Frankfurt for about 100e, but with BlueOne I can fly to Hamburg for about 200e.

The question is, is there a reasonable way to get from Frankfurt to Wacken without it paying that 100e for it. This may sound stupid but for a student like me the 100e is a huge pile of money ;)

Sodomy&Lust

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 Apr. 2002
Madrid - Spain
Anyway, some tips on the german trains (if you don't know them):

Fast trains are extremely expensive (intercities). Regional trains are cheap if you travel with more people, but it'll take you about 8 hours to get to Hamburg from Frankfurt. If you search in www.bahn.de (click where it says "int. guests" for an english version) don't pay attention to the prices per travel (if you choose only regional trains), because they are not actually true.

Feel free to ask if you need more info about offers from the Deutsche Bahn :)

Eledhon

28 Jan. 2002
Tampere, Finland
Thanks for the tips. There will 5-7 of us. I think ;)

Flying to Denmark would make no sense, as it would cost more to fly there than to Germany.

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to rent a car from frankfurt-hanh and return it to hamburg for example...

Fyodor

2 Juni 2003
Eledhon schrieb:
Thanks for the tips. There will 5-7 of us. I think ;)

Flying to Denmark would make no sense, as it would cost more to fly there than to Germany.

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to rent a car from frankfurt-hanh and return it to hamburg for example...
That won't work, I think. You would be in need of a Minivan. I looked that up at sixt. It is possible to pick up in Frankfurt and return in Hamburg. And there is a car for about 70,-€. Just look up for it under www.sixt.de and decide by yourself. I think sixt is the cheapest rental-car company around. And you still have to get to Wacken from Hamburg Main-Station.

Eledhon

28 Jan. 2002
Tampere, Finland
Fyodor schrieb:
That won't work, I think. You would be in need of a Minivan. I looked that up at sixt. It is possible to pick up in Frankfurt and return in Hamburg. And there is a car for about 70,-€. Just look up for it under www.sixt.de and decide by yourself. I think sixt is the cheapest rental-car company around. And you still have to get to Wacken from Hamburg Main-Station.

Thanks for the help. I checked Sixt up - looks good, but how did you come up with 70e? I ended up with 170e. This could offcourse be because my german sucks ;) The point is the rent is about 70e, but only for the first 100kms. After that it is 0.32e every km.

Lucretia

10 Okt. 2002
Hamburg
there are new overnight busses going from Hamburg to Frankfurt - if you book early enough its only 9 Euro :D :)
Check it out here: http://www.ab9euro.de/

they are starting and arriving at really strange times, but its cheap
:cool:

Fyodor

2 Juni 2003
Eledhon schrieb:
Thanks for the help. I checked Sixt up - looks good, but how did you come up with 70e? I ended up with 170e. This could offcourse be because my german sucks ;) The point is the rent is about 70e, but only for the first 100kms. After that it is 0.32e every km.
If you click "Mieten!" in the middle of the screen, then "PKW/KOMBI" in the menu on the left, you get asked where to pick up and return the car. On the left, pick "Frankfurt Airport Term. 1+2", and on the right "Hamburg Hauptbahnhof". I took the 3. of August as your pickup and return day. They give me an offer for a 5-person minibus (Ford Focus C-Max) of 65,70€. I can't find anything about more costs because of km or such. What did you exactly do on the site?

Eledhon

28 Jan. 2002
Tampere, Finland
Fyodor schrieb:
If you click "Mieten!" in the middle of the screen, then "PKW/KOMBI" in the menu on the left, you get asked where to pick up and return the car. On the left, pick "Frankfurt Airport Term. 1+2", and on the right "Hamburg Hauptbahnhof". I took the 3. of August as your pickup and return day. They give me an offer for a 5-person minibus (Ford Focus C-Max) of 65,70€. I can't find anything about more costs because of km or such. What did you exactly do on the site?

Almost the same, but I clicked RENT A CAR under MIETEN. All the cars I found from there had the extra prize for kms over 100 kms. But indeed doing as you did it, I found out that the rentals there were "Inklusive aller Kilometer." which made me smile ;) I also found out that they allow me to return the car to Altona in Hamburg, which is right where I wanted to :) (Assuming the train still runs from Altona to Itzehoe, it's been a few years since I last took it.)

Lucretia schrieb:
there are new overnight busses going from Hamburg to Frankfurt - if you book early enough its only 9 Euro :D :)
Check it out here: http://www.ab9euro.de/

they are starting and arriving at really strange times, but its cheap
:cool:

Thanks for the link, but I think the rental (if we can get the car from the hahn) it will be cheaper.

Fyodor

2 Juni 2003
Eledhon schrieb:
Almost the same, but I clicked RENT A CAR under MIETEN. All the cars I found from there had the extra prize for kms over 100 kms. But indeed doing as you did it, I found out that the rentals there were "Inklusive aller Kilometer." which made me smile ;) I also found out that they allow me to return the car to Altona in Hamburg, which is right where I wanted to :) (Assuming the train still runs from Altona to Itzehoe, it's been a few years since I last took it.)

Thanks for the link, but I think the rental (if we can get the car from the hahn) it will be cheaper.
That's strange indeed. But with all ks includet it schould be no problem. But before you make any contracts, be sure to find out how big the car really is. It won't help you, if it has five seats but no space for your beer ;). I have no clue about the size of a Ford Focus.

Eledhon

28 Jan. 2002
Tampere, Finland
Fyodor schrieb:
That's strange indeed. But with all ks includet it schould be no problem. But before you make any contracts, be sure to find out how big the car really is. It won't help you, if it has five seats but no space for your beer ;). I have no clue about the size of a Ford Focus.

Ford Focus just won't be big enough, I need to check if they have anything bigger. And about the beer in the car, here is a pic of us from last summer - trying to figure out what the hell we should do with all our luggage after buying "a few" drinks from Citti...

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~hellsten/ylipaino_on_ylivoimaa.jpg

gnoff

9 Juli 2002
Mölndal, Sweden
Eledhon schrieb:
I hope you guys can help me out with this one. As my 8th time in Wacken closes in I'v decided to haul my ass to there on a different method.

I (and a few mates) will be picking up the cheapest possible flight from Finland to Germany. The problem is, with ryanair I can fly to Frankfurt for about 100e, but with BlueOne I can fly to Hamburg for about 200e.

The question is, is there a reasonable way to get from Frankfurt to Wacken without it paying that 100e for it. This may sound stupid but for a student like me the 100e is a huge pile of money ;)

I was able to fly to Lübeck with Ryan air, the bus to Hamburg was only 8 euro after that (one way).
Might be a stupid question, but have you checked to see if Ryan air flies to Lübeck from where you are leaving?

Eledhon

28 Jan. 2002
Tampere, Finland
gnoff schrieb:
I was able to fly to Lübeck with Ryan air, the bus to Hamburg was only 8 euro after that (one way).
Might be a stupid question, but have you checked to see if Ryan air flies to Lübeck from where you are leaving?

Sure I have ;) In Order to fly to Lubeck with Ryan I'd have to fly to London first.