Fleas & Ticks?!?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

WhiskeyFist666

W:O:A Metalhead
31 Jan. 2008
Los Angeles
I understand that before the festival Wacken is used for raising cattle and livestock. Has anybody experienced any problems with parasites? Should I take insect repellant? I wouldn't want to wake up with a giant tick sucking on my testies.:eek:

Sipyloidea

W:O:A Metalgod
19 März 2007
I understand that before the festival Wacken is used for raising cattle and livestock. Has anybody experienced any problems with parasites? Should I take insect repellant? I wouldn't want to wake up with a giant tick sucking on my testies.:eek:

Well, in Wacken I haven't experienced that yet. The only thing creeping around at those fields at the moment are little black spiders. They're gonna inweb the whole entry of your tent. They're harmless though.

I've had one tick now at Dong one week ago. But that camping ground was "wilder" than the Wacken one's. Just take a tweezers with you so you could pull the tick out, if you got one.

And nevermind, the ticks in northern Germany are mostly harmless. Those bad, infecting thingies mostly creep around in the south of Germania ;)

cwes

6 Mai 2007

I had these thoughts before my first WOA. They proved to be unsubstantial. I had no encounter with parasites, not even mosquitos.

I'll still bring a good amount of DEET and tweezers, though.

Do not lie in tall grass. Check your legs after you've walked through tall grass barelegged.

Should you still catch a tick (they are quite small) just go to the medics. I am sure they will be very willing to remove it for you. They will also instruct you, what symptons to look out for during the next weeks.

Sipyloidea

19 März 2007
This. IFF you catch a tick, you wanna catch it in Northern Germany.
Right ;) If any animal "gets" you, you want that to happen in northern Germany :D Can't think of any really serious "armed" animal around here :p

And btw. about the symptoms: You need to check a tick bite for the next few days, if some red circle appears aro und the bite. I mean it will be some read anyways, like a mosquito-bite is normal. But like a big red circle around you should get a doctor:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Sipyloidea

19 März 2007
Right ;) If any animal "gets" you, you want that to happen in northern Germany :D Can't think of any really serious "armed" animal around here :p

And btw. about the symptoms: You need to check a tick bite for the next few days, if some red circle appears aro und the bite. I mean it will be some read anyways, like a mosquito-bite is normal. But like a big red circle around you should get a doctor:

sorry, need to do a double post for this, because my last post was bugged:

like this: see a doctor

Canuck

4 Nov. 2007
Toronto, Canada
I've never even heard of anyone getting ticks at Wacken. I suppose the best thing would be to just wear army pants or jeans instead of shorts. Not many insects can get through those.

Sipyloidea

19 März 2007
I've never even heard of anyone getting ticks at Wacken. I suppose the best thing would be to just wear army pants or jeans instead of shorts. Not many insects can get through those.

or if you don't hit high gras anyways, you'll be ok with boots already. However, I haven't heard of that either.

Canuck

4 Nov. 2007
Toronto, Canada
or if you don't hit high gras anyways, you'll be ok with boots already. However, I haven't heard of that either.

Makes me wonder if they'll be putting hay down again, since it looks like it may rain. Probably more "at risk" (if there is even a risk) in hay/in a hay fight than anywhere else around the grounds. But I think they said they were somehow prepping the grounds this year to avoid the kind of mud we had last year...though in a way I kind of hope they do put down hay again, because those hay fights were fucking awesome!:cool:

Solskinn Av Natten

28 März 2008
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
sorry, need to do a double post for this, because my last post was bugged:

like this: see a doctor

Ugh :eek: That is a very unpleasant-looking photo!

I don't think I've ever had a tick bite me, and I don't want to find out. But I'll probably be wearing shorts, or a skirt, if it's hot (tall boots though, as well). Does insect repellent work on ticks? I should hope so...

cwes

6 Mai 2007
Does insect repellent work on ticks?
DEET does work. You'll decrease the chance of being bitten. Unfortunately it's not very reliable against ticks and you need to refresh every 2-4 hours. The damage done to your skin by the amount of DEET needed during the four days should outweigh the expected damage done by an unlikely tick bite.

DEET is the only repellent that has some reliability against ticks. Don't bother asking for more harmless stuff.

Solskinn Av Natten

28 März 2008
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
DEET does work. You'll decrease the chance of being bitten. Unfortunately it's not very reliable against ticks and you need to refresh every 2-4 hours. The damage done to your skin by the amount of DEET needed during the four days should outweigh the expected damage done by an unlikely tick bite.

DEET is the only repellent that has some reliability against ticks. Don't bother asking for more harmless stuff.

I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Thanks, this is pretty interesting stuff that I've never heard before:

"DEET is the most common active ingredient in insect repellents. ... In particular, DEET protects against tick bites (which transmit Lyme disease, several rickettsioses, tick-borne meningoencephalitis :eek: and other tick-borne diseases) and mosquito bites (which transmit dengue fever, West Nile virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, and malaria).

DEET was developed by the United States Army, following its experience of jungle warfare during World War II. ... Originally tested as a pesticide on farm fields :)confused: and now we put this on our skin!), the US Government applied it for war time usage, particularly when in Vietnam and around that region of Asia.

DEET is believed to work by blocking insect olfactory receptors for 1-octen-3-ol, a volatile substance that is contained in human sweat and breath. DEET effectively "blinds" the insect's senses so that the biting/feeding instinct is not triggered by humans or animals which produce these chemicals."​

So basically, it will make me 'invisible' to insects! They won't even know I'm there :p