First-timer

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

T-Lex

W:O:A Metalhead
10 Apr. 2015
Scotland
Are you saying you won a drinking competition against Korpiklaani? Now I'm REALLY impressed! :ugly:

I know you very little, but from the bits you wrote here I'm not surprised...

Everything Scottish, you mean? ;)

Yeah well it was staight vodka and to be honest i couldnt walk after and was very very sick. I think the only thing that got me through it was singing "vodka" and "Happy little boozer" in between.

Hahaha if only. :p

Yeah only lived in Scotland so far! :D

Doc Rock

Master of the Wind einer Dirne
27 Jan. 2011
Göttingen
Yeah well it was staight vodka and to be honest i couldnt walk after and was very very sick. I think the only thing that got me through it was singing "vodka" and "Happy little boozer" in between.

Strange, they always promise that you will feel awesome! ;)

What are you looking forward to see this year at WOA?

T-Lex

10 Apr. 2015
Scotland
Strange, they always promise that you will feel awesome! ;)

What are you looking forward to see this year at WOA?

Hahaha!! it was, and my eyes were very shiny! :p

Strangely Europe haha! Cant wait to finally see them, Alot of the bands iv seen before but I go to festivals to see the bands iv never heard of and there's quite a few. Love the thrill of seeing new bands and hopefully coming across something awesome. :D
Ensiferum, Sabaton, Kataklysm, Cannibal Corpse and Combichrist are a must :)

Doc Rock

Master of the Wind einer Dirne
27 Jan. 2011
Göttingen
Hahaha!! it was, and my eyes were very shiny! :p

Strangely Europe haha! Cant wait to finally see them, Alot of the bands iv seen before but I go to festivals to see the bands iv never heard of and there's quite a few. Love the thrill of seeing new bands and hopefully coming across something awesome. :D
Ensiferum, Sabaton, Kataklysm, Cannibal Corpse and Combichrist are a must :)

The new Europe album is great! Songs like Second Day or Nothin To Ya are so far away from Final Countdown. I like it that they put them on Wednesday already, unusual that Wacken has a big name on that day.

Otherwise we're very much on the same page, save Cannibal Corpse, I'm not very high on them. Combichrist have that unlucky slot right before Savatage, so I'm not sure what to do about them. Maybe I'll only watch them half or so. I'm also looking forward to see Armored Saint and Samael. And Danko Jones is extremely entertaining live!

T-Lex

10 Apr. 2015
Scotland
The new Europe album is great! Songs like Second Day or Nothin To Ya are so far away from Final Countdown. I like it that they put them on Wednesday already, unusual that Wacken has a big name on that day.

Otherwise we're very much on the same page, save Cannibal Corpse, I'm not very high on them. Combichrist have that unlucky slot right before Savatage, so I'm not sure what to do about them. Maybe I'll only watch them half or so. I'm also looking forward to see Armored Saint and Samael. And Danko Jones is extremely entertaining live!

Yeah it ill start of the festival really well i think!
Yeah i think alot of people will be switching to Savatage, we will be. Ah awesome ill need to look them up :)
Love seeing bands who get the crowed really involved. :D

Dirlewanger

19 Apr. 2015
USA
Thought I'd chime in here with some questions instead of making a new thread (apologize in advance if most of these are buried in the FAQ, I've gone through most of those threads and have these remaining ones):

First-timer also here. Coming from the States, by myself sadly. Most of the advice I see is "travel light" when flying. Are people recommending this simply to cut down on checked baggage fees? Because I'll need a tent/everything else that goes along with that, I'm split between buying a tent now and bringing it with me or buying one there. With that said, is Wacken or Hamburg the best place to buy a tent/everything else needed? Are any other essentials available for rent at Wacken? I've seen some people say that Metaltix has stuff for rent but all I can find is the EMP site with one tent...

Follow-up to the previous one: Does the Hamburg airport/somewhere nearby have lockers of some sort? After Wacken I'm spending an additional 3 weeks backpacking Belgium/Amsterdam/Austria/some other places (still planning the itinerary) and when doing *that* I'd like to stay light and stash any stuff I happen to buy/brought specifically for Wacken. I'm also bringing a somewhat expensive (mirrorless, not DSLR) camera and I'm pretty sure a festival is not the best place to leave it unattended, especially when I will be inebriated most of the time. Or does Wacken proper have these??

Everyone says beer is available at Wacken proper...awesome. Are the supermarkets far from the general campsite area? Walking with said beer is what most will do?

Once one has said beer, I'm assuming most people use ice/coolers? In which case a bunch of those cheap styrofoam coolers are the best option?

Since I don't have a grill for cooking, am I at the mercy of whatever there is being served at vendors?

How "separated" is the campsite from...well, everything else? Is there any issue bring the beer one buys outside of the campsite into...everything else? If this is a strange question, what few festivals here in the US (sadly none are metal) you are locked into whatever vendors are selling inside the ticketed area and any outside drinks are prohibited.

I've read a few opinions in threads from the FAQ that frown upon getting there too early, seeing it as a burden to the organizers. To what extent is this true? I've yet to book my ticket and wouldn't mind having a day or so to mess around/meet others without worrying about having to worry about getting a good spot to see bands.

Thanks in advance!

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Moin,

I'll try to answer your questions as well as I can.

Travel light: it does cut the cost of course, but also keep in mind, that YOU have to carry it all around as well. So it's up to you, whether you take a tent or not. But tents nowadays weigh less than 2 kilos so that is the least of your worries, I reckon.
Lockers at the airport: I honestly don't know if there are any! But there are lockers at all major railway stations (Hamburg Hbf/Main and Hamburg Altona) However, I don't know if they are limited in time. Check out www.bahn.com for information about the stations.

Camping: Depending on where you will be placed, there is a supermarket in walking distance. You can also get beer, disposable BBQs and normal food. And it's not a problem to bring that stuff onto the camping. It is however prohibited to bring glass on any site of Wacken, camping and festival site! On the FESTIVAL SITE, you are at the mercy of the vendors over there.

I cannot answer to the rest of your questions. Hopefully somebody else who's been flying to Wacken, can answer them.

Just a quick reminder: a friend of mine took 3 bags from Baltimore MD, and had pay a fee of $50/€45 per flight! Try to limit it to 2.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
You can start camping on monday, you have to pay extra though. But i think its worth it.
There wikl probabaly some mentioning of this in an news article closer to the festival.

About beer. You can go to the supermarket in the village, which is quite a walk (if you keep in mind you have to cary the beer).
But there are also supermarket stalls on the campgrounds, they are more expensive though.
I think it was 2 euro for 0.5 liter of beer last year.

Some people cool their beer, others dont.
I guess carrying a fridge with you in the plane will be tough though.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
You can start camping on monday, you have to pay extra though. But i think its worth it.
There wikl probabaly some mentioning of this in an news article closer to the festival.

About beer. You can go to the supermarket in the village, which is quite a walk (if you keep in mind you have to cary the beer).
But there are also supermarket stalls on the campgrounds, they are more expensive though.
I think it was 2 euro for 0.5 liter of beer last year.

Some people cool their beer, others dont.
I guess carrying a fridge with you in the plane will be tough though.

The kids in town will be thrilled to "carry" it for you with their trolleys and skelters. Costs a few cents, but then you don't carry it. (until the entrance)

German cans have deposit, like in some states of the US, however, the deposit is €0.25!

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
Thought I'd chime in here with some questions instead of making a new thread (apologize in advance if most of these are buried in the FAQ, I've gone through most of those threads and have these remaining ones):

First-timer also here. Coming from the States, by myself sadly. Most of the advice I see is "travel light" when flying. Are people recommending this simply to cut down on checked baggage fees? Because I'll need a tent/everything else that goes along with that, I'm split between buying a tent now and bringing it with me or buying one there. With that said, is Wacken or Hamburg the best place to buy a tent/everything else needed? Are any other essentials available for rent at Wacken? I've seen some people say that Metaltix has stuff for rent but all I can find is the EMP site with one tent...

My advice would be 1) pack everything you have right now and weigh it, and 2) double check with your airline how much checked luggage is allowed without a fee. I pack everything I need except a decent sized chair (doesn't fit) and food, and it comes in at 17-18kg. Generally long flights will allow around 30kg, whereas budget airlines within Europe generally allow up to 20kg without huge fees. As Quark said, you will have to be carrying stuff, so consider your options.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
As far as cooling drinks - if I'm lucky enough that part of my tent is in the shade of another tent, I place my food and drinks there at night and wrap my sleeping bag over the top as soon as I wake up. It keeps it all at a reasonable temperature (even UHT milk) :) Helps if it's cold to begin with, obviously.