How much german will I need to understand?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Tri-6

W:O:A Metalhead
13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
Other than prost and bad movie German I've picked up from watching Hogan's Heroes and Inglorious Basterds I know little of the language. I plan on doing some study but for the festival and a week on either side of it how much trouble am I going to be in without having much of a grasp of the local language?

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia
Other than prost and bad movie German I've picked up from watching Hogan's Heroes and Inglorious Basterds I know little of the language. I plan on doing some study but for the festival and a week on either side of it how much trouble am I going to be in without having much of a grasp of the local language?

"Kein Deutsch" is pretty much the only thing you will *need* to know; anything after that is optional/helpful. I doubt whether that phrase is grammatically correct, but from my experience German speakers will get the point straight away and switch to English.

If you pick up a "German for Dummies" book/audio set or something like that, it'll be really useful. Stuff like the word for "breakfast" and your usual pleasantries will be super useful. I always carry around a mini German/English dictionary around with me in case I get stuck, or just want to learn along the way.

Flatmus

19 Nov. 2007
Burg, Dithmarschen
like Alix said... a few german skills could be usefull, especially outside of Wacken (airport, trainsation, bus, city....) but not necessary. A dictionary or a translation app on a cellphone should be enaugh.

Guardian of Silence

W:O:A Metalmaster
29 Dez. 2011
Tom Kyle
word for "breakfast"

Frühstück.

I hope, you know how to pronounce an umlaut like "ü". ;)
And "st" is like "sht"

But I think, it's allright to say "ich spreche kein deutsch". Or "kein deutsch". It might be enough, just to say "i don't speak anything else than english". Most Germans should understand that. And yes, our English is not the best one, but most of us Do speak understandable English.

24 Dez. 2012
If you have an Android smartphone, you can download the Google Translate app and download the whole german dictionary (140 MB aprox.) in order to use the app offline (with no 3G, 4G, etc.)

I've been using the Pimsleur course and although it won't make you fully proficient in german, you won't starve or die of thirst :D

Tri-6

13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to learn some basic phrases like "Please give me a large beer", "My apologies for my terrible German", etc.

UltimoAviso

15 Aug. 2012
California, USA
I was there about 2 weeks, ran into only one person who spoke no English, and I'm pretty sure she was going senile(sp?). If you're looking for a mini Vegas check out reeperbahn, it's a very...um..interesting suburb haha. Also they speak "British english" so our "mall/market area" is referred to as a "pedestrian precinct" so giving accurate descriptions helps pass the language differences.

Tri-6

13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
If you have an Android smartphone, you can download the Google Translate app and download the whole german dictionary (140 MB aprox.) in order to use the app offline (with no 3G, 4G, etc.)

I've been using the Pimsleur course and although it won't make you fully proficient in german, you won't starve or die of thirst :D

Good idea. I'll have a Samsung S4 and put it to good use I'm sure.

UltimoAviso

15 Aug. 2012
California, USA
All beer there is large :) and way more affordable and ripe to get the job done properly and quick haha. Another tip is to make friends where you're at, they will understand your language and translate for you :)

Tri-6

13 Aug. 2012
St. Louis, MO USA
I was there about 2 weeks, ran into only one person who spoke no English, and I'm pretty sure she was going senile(sp?). If you're looking for a mini Vegas check out reeperbahn, it's a very...um..interesting suburb haha. Also they speak "British english" so our "mall/market area" is referred to as a "pedestrian precinct" so giving accurate descriptions helps pass the language differences.

The two nights before Wacken we are staying at a hotel on the Reaperbahn. Should be interesting!