Introduction Wacken-Jasper

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Wacken-Jasper

Administrator
Teammitglied
18 Jan. 2012
www.wacken.com
Hi, folks!
In the future, the Wacken Open Air forum will be moderated more active again by the organizer. This part will be performed primarily by me, because unfortunately Wacken-Bull hasn’t enough time to be here continuously anymore (but despite he will continue to be present as far as possible). I’m at disposal for you by private messages and in the forum. It’s my goal to give you answers to your problems and questions, regarding to the festival, in a short time and a direct connection to the organizer.

Also we will change some details at the forum itself. We will publish some reasonable forum rules and adjust the structure of the forum. But don’t worry; these changes will be just cosmetic and straightforward. We used to talk to the moderators of the board before to ensure this.

Criticism and suggestions are always welcome. Just write me or use the corresponding sub forums!

Sincere regards,
Wacken-Jasper

Wacken-Jasper

Administrator
Teammitglied
18 Jan. 2012
www.wacken.com
Thanks for your response!

I moved the threads to increase the overview in the forum. When there are threads about festivals in several subforums, it's hard to find the right one for many people.

It's better to have all of them same at the same place. :)

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Thanks for your response!

I moved the threads to increase the overview in the forum. When there are threads about festivals in several subforums, it's hard to find the right one for many people.

It's better to have all of them same at the same place. :)

In reply to what I wrote (in the German part, confusing, ik weet 't), the lower here, the less it's read around here. The usual people who use this part of the forum mostly only read the "Talk" area. It's a bit different from what's happening in the German forum, where the sub forums are used more often. (not that there is no activity in the int. sub forums, but WAY less than in "Germany".)

Wacken-Jasper

Administrator
Teammitglied
18 Jan. 2012
www.wacken.com
In reply to what I wrote (in the German part, confusing, ik weet 't), the lower here, the less it's read around here. The usual people who use this part of the forum mostly only read the "Talk" area. It's a bit different from what's happening in the German forum, where the sub forums are used more often. (not that there is no activity in the int. sub forums, but WAY less than in "Germany".)
I know about the difference and also I thought about it before I moved the topics.

It's one of my goals to improve the activity of the whole forum. Unorganized sub-forums can scare new users, so moving threads to sub-forums can help to raise the activity.
Please ask yourself: If you discover a new board where are several sub-forums but everybody ignores them: Would you register yourself?

And when you don't want to miss new things in other sub-forums: There is a subscribe function for threads. When you subscribe to them, you can easily check them for new answers. :)

agresionpower

W:O:A Metalgod
22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
I know about the difference and also I thought about it before I moved the topics.

It's one of my goals to improve the activity of the whole forum. Unorganized sub-forums can scare new users, so moving threads to sub-forums can help to raise the activity.
Please ask yourself: If you discover a new board where are several sub-forums but everybody ignores them: Would you register yourself?

And when you don't want to miss new things in other sub-forums: There is a subscribe function for threads. When you subscribe to them, you can easily check them for new answers. :)

I do get it from your point of view.

But reality is that there were 9 thread with activity this month, out of those you moved 3 to a subforum where nobody looks. (might have looked there 3 times in the past 7 years).
This doesn't make the forum more atractive to me, and I don't see why anybody else would join when things seem so empty.
I would rather argue that we close some of the subforums and put them in one international forum.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007

Actually, yes. I think we all did. Seeing as that's exactly the case here in the international side, and we're all registered, aren't we? :D

I would rather argue that we close some of the subforums and put them in one international forum.

I'd agree with this as well. I can see some of them being separate - the flea market, for example, since the purpose there isn't for chatting, it's for selling/buying things. But besides that, what you're doing is moving active threads away from the most active part of the international forum, so there's really only one left. We haven't seen a lot of new people on the international side with a few active threads lately. I think you'd get more activity going the exact opposite direction of what you're doing. I think people would be far more likely to register for a forum with several active threads in one subforum (international) than with one or two active threads in a bunch of subforums.

Toffi Fee

3 Dez. 2002
MS Holy Slaughterhouse
20000er-thread-warriors.de
Actually, yes. I think we all did. Seeing as that's exactly the case here in the international side, and we're all registered, aren't we? :D

I'd agree with this as well. I can see some of them being separate - the flea market, for example, since the purpose there isn't for chatting, it's for selling/buying things. But besides that, what you're doing is moving active threads away from the most active part of the international forum, so there's really only one left. We haven't seen a lot of new people on the international side with a few active threads lately. I think you'd get more activity going the exact opposite direction of what you're doing. I think people would be far more likely to register for a forum with several active threads in one subforum (international) than with one or two active threads in a bunch of subforums.

/sign!

agresionpower

22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland

yeah the flea market can stay seperated of course, for the reason you already mentioned :)

Wacken-Jasper

Administrator
Teammitglied
18 Jan. 2012
www.wacken.com
I think you'd get more activity going the exact opposite direction of what you're doing. I think people would be far more likely to register for a forum with several active threads in one subforum (international) than with one or two active threads in a bunch of subforums.
I see your point.. I will think about this and also talk to my co-workers about it. Thanks for the input!

By the way it's already part of the plan to reduce the amount of the subforums a little bit (off-topic for example).

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
I'd say you should not only get rid of the "Off-topic" and merge it with "Talk", but also the Videogames/computer, Movies, and the Board meetings. They're basically never used, and threads that would belong there often end up here anyway.

As for separating the threads about festivals from here, I can see some of the reasoning behind that. But I think even the "Music" subforum can be merged with "Talk", since without the festivals, it's really no different than the "Movies"/etc subforums. But I'd agree with the others that the threads about festivals fit better here, rather than pushing them off elsewhere. Particularly on the international side, where a lot of people are travelling from different countries and different continents, and often choose to visit other festivals while they're in Germany/Europe. For the reasons described earlier, I think moving them away would result in less activity.

(Disclaimer: Everything I talk about here (unless I say otherwise) is specifically for the international side. The German side (Talk, etc) is very different from here. So what works here or what people here want isn't necessarily true for the German side, and vice versa. I'd advise you to ask them for input about changes on their side, and us for ours.)

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
I had a couple other suggestions, too, if you're interested:

For one, it might be better to separate the "Fragen zum Festival / Questions about the festival" subforum into English and German, and move them to the deutsch/international boards instead of the "Everything about WOA". Not really sure why it needs to be in the section that gets archived after every festival, since a lot of questions apply just the same year after year. And I think a lot of English speakers avoid that area for asking questions, and so they come here. Like, we've got two stickies entirely about Wacken questions. :D I think it'd encourage far more questions (and registrations) by separating them by language like that.

Another idea you could consider is adding a subforum in both the German and international sides for practicing the other's language. I've noticed a bunch of people want to learn English/German, but are too nervous to try and talk to the people on the other side, usually because they don't know anyone on the other side, or because they feel like their attempts to practice aren't welcome, or both (on top of the usual fears of making mistakes etc). A separate area entirely designed for that purpose would make people more likely to try it out. Plus, if it works, people from the two sides start to get to know each other, and they'll start posting on the other subforums/"Talk". And then you'll have more activity on both sides.

@Everyone else, what do you think about that? Good idea, bad idea?

agresionpower

22 Juni 2005
Almere, Holland
I had a couple other suggestions, too, if you're interested:

For one, it might be better to separate the "Fragen zum Festival / Questions about the festival" subforum into English and German, and move them to the deutsch/international boards instead of the "Everything about WOA". Not really sure why it needs to be in the section that gets archived after every festival, since a lot of questions apply just the same year after year. And I think a lot of English speakers avoid that area for asking questions, and so they come here. Like, we've got two stickies entirely about Wacken questions. :D I think it'd encourage far more questions (and registrations) by separating them by language like that.

Another idea you could consider is adding a subforum in both the German and international sides for practicing the other's language. I've noticed a bunch of people want to learn English/German, but are too nervous to try and talk to the people on the other side, usually because they don't know anyone on the other side, or because they feel like their attempts to practice aren't welcome, or both (on top of the usual fears of making mistakes etc). A separate area entirely designed for that purpose would make people more likely to try it out. Plus, if it works, people from the two sides start to get to know each other, and they'll start posting on the other subforums/"Talk". And then you'll have more activity on both sides.

@Everyone else, what do you think about that? Good idea, bad idea?

both ideas sound ok to me, just have to sleep over it to see if I'll endorse them :D