Random queries

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
Alright, none of the information I am about to ask for is on the site. I've checked...alot.:p

1) I'm gonna be using a rental car as my tent. Gonna be driving around 1am on the 3rd. So, I'd like to park kinda quickly to rest up before Wacken starts. So, what lot is the best place to park for facilities, distance, and adequate sleeping?

2) How long is the wait usually for the showers? Would I be better off with baby wipe "baths"? ;)

3) How reliable are the ATMs? With everybody using them I'd expect them to run out every now and then...

4) What in the hell is Oil Catching and Mambo Kurt???

5) Anyone know what the new Nintendo, Relentless, Fendt Tuned Tractors tents consist of?

6) Can anyone get in on the Bruchenball Tournaments? Never played before, so I don't know how serious people play the game... Never even heard of it before :p

7) Since I'm driving so early in the morning I'd like to buy a supply of beer before parking. Are there any 24 hour supermarkets or convenience stores with a good selection that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for humoring me. :D My first time in Germany and my first metal concert festival. I'm happy in my pants just thinking about all the metal thrashing that I will partake in.

Oh, and one more thing... On the Holy Wacken Land map for Bullhead City there is a description that says Red Light... But it couldn't be what I think it means...could it??? Hah! Rock'n in Wacken in 36 days!!! \m/\m/

Sipyloidea

W:O:A Metalgod
19 März 2007
Alright, none of the information I am about to ask for is on the site. I've checked...alot.:p

1) I'm gonna be using a rental car as my tent. Gonna be driving around 1am on the 3rd. So, I'd like to park kinda quickly to rest up before Wacken starts. So, what lot is the best place to park for facilities, distance, and adequate sleeping?

2) How long is the wait usually for the showers? Would I be better off with baby wipe "baths"? ;)

3) How reliable are the ATMs? With everybody using them I'd expect them to run out every now and then...

5) Anyone know what the new Nintendo, Relentless, Fendt Tuned Tractors tents consist of?

6) Can anyone get in on the Bruchenball Tournaments? Never played before, so I don't know how serious people play the game... Never even heard of it before :p

7) Since I'm driving so early in the morning I'd like to buy a supply of beer before parking. Are there any 24 hour supermarkets or convenience stores with a good selection that anyone can recommend?

Thanks for humoring me. :D My first time in Germany and my first metal concert festival. I'm happy in my pants just thinking about all the metal thrashing that I will partake in.

Oh, and one more thing... On the Holy Wacken Land map for Bullhead City there is a description that says Red Light... But it couldn't be what I think it means...could it??? Hah! Rock'n in Wacken in 36 days!!! \m/\m/

1) no clue, I usually just get there and claim a spot. In my opinion the supply of everything sucks everywhere anyway. Though I recall that since last year you can't chose your spot anymore anyways (when you're arriving with a car), they'll actually instruct you to where to park.

2) depends on the time you're going I guess. I've heard people say really early in the morning it's not a problem and the water is actually still hot there. If you try during the day, you'll probably have to wait at least 2 hours or something

3) Sorry, never used them. But I did see the lines in front of them, they're probably as popular as the showers

4) Dunno Oil Catching, but Mambo Kurt is a keyboard player that does some sort of party act in the beergarden. It's no metal, just some gig for drunk people looking to party. Obviously a huge hit for the past few years, I wouldn't really know though

5) Nope. Guess they come up with new stuff every year. Maybe there's something on the news site

6) Bruchenball is a game from the medieval section where people have to move a heavy sack to the other side of the field while the people wrestle to stop each other from doing that. I think to recall that one could sign up for it, but I might confuse it with other medieval festivals I've been at

7) Where exactly are you coming from? There are no 24 supermarkets in Germany, at least not that I've ever heard of. If you wanna buy something after 10pm or at sunday, you'll have to do that at the gas station, which will be considerably more expansive. If you'll already be around Wacken by that time, just buy something at their EDEKA. The stores in Wacken will have stocked up on beer big time when the festival starts. They actually get rid of other products like pet food to do so

About the red light, I highly doubt it. That'd probably have the police shut down Wacken or something. It's probably just a strip show.

Hope I could be of any help, even though some answers are more guesses than knowing :p

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien

I don't konw about Red Light, but i tmight have to do with Red Bull. (guess).
Not the Amsterdam version no. :D

Now the answers.

1) Y. But you'll have to walk!
But a place will be designated by the stewards, once you arrive. Only R, B and A are off limits. (reserved/handicapped/no car zone)

2) Baby whipes are always easy. And if you shower at 4am I reckon you don't wait that long, but it can take a whlile when you're in rush hour. Don't know myself.

3) Reliable. There are 4 at the festival area and 2 in Wacken itself.

4) Oil wrestling
Mambo Kurt plays songs on an "orgel". (don't know the English term)

5) No answer.

6) No answer. Don't know.

7) At the camp site there are 24/7 supermarkets (or maybe closed between 3 and 5am). Better go to the Edeka, which is cheaper.

Voilà, that's it.

Sipyloidea

19 März 2007
7) At the camp site there are 24/7 supermarkets (or maybe closed between 3 and 5am). Better go to the Edeka, which is cheaper.

I don't really remember, but I'm fairly sure, that those stands on the campside were really expensive. If he wants to stock up on beer he should definatly buy it in a store outside the camping area

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
I don't really remember, but I'm fairly sure, that those stands on the campside were really expensive. If he wants to stock up on beer he should definatly buy it in a store outside the camping area

To give an idea.
Beer €1 (plus 25ct deposit)
Toilet paper, 2 rolls €2.
Matches: 50ct if not 75ct.
Lighter €1.50
Coffee (cup, not a package!!!!) €2

And so on.

In Gelsenkirchen, there was beer for 29ct (plus deposit) a can of 50cl. Better than 1€! (I reckon the prices in Edeka are more or less alike)

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007

C is pretty good as far as the closest you can get with cars I guess, take a look at the map of the campgrounds to figure out where you want to go. As for sleeping, depends on how much you mind noise. If people blasting metal and singing loudly in the middle of the night will disturb you, I'd recommend you either bring earplugs or park further away from the stages - the further away you are, the less noise there'll be (I assume). But I personally have never had a problem with the noise on C both years I've been... took a little while sometimes to fall asleep, but after that I was fine.

Another recommendation I'd make - the sun is usually what wakes you up on festivals, because it gets insanely hot after awhile of it beating down on your tent (cars too I imagine). So what I'd do, if possible, is find a spot where the trees block out the rising sun. Didn't pull this off last Wacken, but at another festival we did, and it was so nice not waking up in an oven. :D

As Sipy said though, you might be out of luck if they tell you where to park.

Never used the showers. I'd recommend doing the same, showering at festivals is not metal. :o Bring a bunch of wipes and such, those are great. Avoid the showers if possible, since you'll probably have too much fun to take a break to clean up. :o That or you'll be better off going in the middle of the night I guess.

Never used them either. I'd say bring enough cash to last the entire festival (at the festival area - drinks = about 4-5 euro if I remember right, most food in the 2-5 euro range, with fries on the cheap end and burgers and such on the 5 euro end).

No idea when the supermarkets open, but if you're driving, why not find a supermarket before you get there?

Just wanted to say thanks. :D Saves us a lot of trouble (and eye rolling) when someone actually looks for info first rather than coming straight here.

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia

If you really want to have a shower if I recall correctly any time before 7am there wasn't a line last year. Don't worry though, I recon you'll be up at 5am regardless of when you go to sleep. When I have my time again though, it will be baby wipes again plus dry shampoo since I'm not comfortable with the idea of communal showers. I wish I knew about the shampoo last year, I spent an hour in the shower when I got back to my hotel in Hamburg.

I imagine you should be right if you get out a couple hundred euros and a few days supply of basic snack food before you head out. I brought along some fruit and shelf-life milk in one of those fridge bags and they kept very well. I never had to use the ATM's at Wacken. Bloodstock on the other hand...

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
you can use the open-air bath (is that the correct term for "Freibad"?) of Wacken to shower, too, also you can swim a few meters there, or jump from the tower...

It is usually not too full there in the morning.

True. But it takes a while to get there. (if you decide to go by foot)
But apparently there are shuttles form the festival to the swimming pool. (Freibad)

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
7) Where exactly are you coming from? There are no 24 supermarkets in Germany, at least not that I've ever heard of. If you wanna buy something after 10pm or at sunday, you'll have to do that at the gas station, which will be considerably more expansive. If you'll already be around Wacken by that time, just buy something at their EDEKA. The stores in Wacken will have stocked up on beer big time when the festival starts. They actually get rid of other products like pet food to do so

I'll be traveling in the Munich area before Wacken. The train I'm looking at taking leaves about 18:00 and arrives in Hamburg at 00:40. So, after that I got a 10 minute walk or so to the Sixt car rental to pick up my car. I don't really have much chance on the way to pick up supplies unless I do so in Munich and carry it on the trains until I get the car. Since I got trunk space at that time I was hoping to stock up before finding a nice parking spot and leaving the car there for the festival.

About the red light, I highly doubt it. That'd probably have the police shut down Wacken or something. It's probably just a strip show.

Hope I could be of any help, even though some answers are more guesses than knowing :p

Saw a video of a Wacken strip-dance type setup on you Tube. I figured something like that but I'm not 100% on German culture. I know prostitution is legal and the Full Metal Bag comes with a condom... :p That's about it!!!

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
C is pretty good as far as the closest you can get with cars I guess, take a look at the map of the campgrounds to figure out where you want to go. As for sleeping, depends on how much you mind noise. If people blasting metal and singing loudly in the middle of the night will disturb you, I'd recommend you either bring earplugs or park further away from the stages - the further away you are, the less noise there'll be (I assume). But I personally have never had a problem with the noise on C both years I've been... took a little while sometimes to fall asleep, but after that I was fine.

Another recommendation I'd make - the sun is usually what wakes you up on festivals, because it gets insanely hot after awhile of it beating down on your tent (cars too I imagine). So what I'd do, if possible, is find a spot where the trees block out the rising sun. Didn't pull this off last Wacken, but at another festival we did, and it was so nice not waking up in an oven. :D

As Sipy said though, you might be out of luck if they tell you where to park.

Coolness. I'll try and park around C then. Also (I know the Wi-fi thing is new so info on it is scarce), I'm wanting to have wireless acces with my laptop so I can download pics to it and post highlights for family and friend updates... I'm hoping anyways!

Never used the showers. I'd recommend doing the same, showering at festivals is not metal. :o Bring a bunch of wipes and such, those are great. Avoid the showers if possible, since you'll probably have too much fun to take a break to clean up. :o That or you'll be better off going in the middle of the night I guess.

Totally understand the whole no showering concept, but... I've heard talk of lots of mud and then they got Oil Catching (Wrestling, I guess someone said...), plus I put pigs to shame with how much I sweat so... :D

Never used them either. I'd say bring enough cash to last the entire festival (at the festival area - drinks = about 4-5 euro if I remember right, most food in the 2-5 euro range, with fries on the cheap end and burgers and such on the 5 euro end).

So, figuring 8 beers a day (5 euro each) on average and 3 meals (5-10 euro each) then I should have about ~350 euro??? That sounds like alot. Anyone know if the vendors on the festival grounds take plastic?

Norick

28 Juni 2011
Hawaii, USA
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've never done anything like this and I appreciate the fact that there are many of you who have alot of experience to help new people like myself. Don't want to fret the small stuff really so I'm asking the questions. Thanks again for helping me figure out all this stuff so I can enjoy the metal that is Wacken with no worries!:D

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
I'll be traveling in the Munich area before Wacken. The train I'm looking at taking leaves about 18:00 and arrives in Hamburg at 00:40. So, after that I got a 10 minute walk or so to the Sixt car rental to pick up my car. I don't really have much chance on the way to pick up supplies unless I do so in Munich and carry it on the trains until I get the car. Since I got trunk space at that time I was hoping to stock up before finding a nice parking spot and leaving the car there for the festival.

Yeah, I'll end up stocking up for the train ride over there if nothing else. Was just hoping to find a store or gas station type convenience store that sold cheaper beer than what would be at Wacken.

Hamburg station is pretty big, you might be able to stock up there if the stores stay open that late (maybe someone else can confirm this?).

Worst case scenario, just get to Wacken whenever and go to the market once it opens.

Totally understand the whole no showering concept, but... I've heard talk of lots of mud and then they got Oil Catching (Wrestling, I guess someone said...), plus I put pigs to shame with how much I sweat so... :D

Unless you planning on rolling around in the mud, it's no big deal, as long as you bring boots or something. Pretty much everyone is dirty and smelly by the end so don't expect anyone else to care. :D Just make yourself comfortable.

So, figuring 8 beers a day (5 euro each) on average and 3 meals (5-10 euro each) then I should have about ~350 euro??? That sounds like alot. Anyone know if the vendors on the festival grounds take plastic?

Never seen credit cards being used, but I could be wrong.

You can cut back significantly on food costs though by stocking up at the supermarket. One of those portable or disposable grills plus some meat will work fine, along with some other snacks, fruit, canned stuff, and whatever else you like to eat, and drinks of course.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've never done anything like this and I appreciate the fact that there are many of you who have alot of experience to help new people like myself. Don't want to fret the small stuff really so I'm asking the questions. Thanks again for helping me figure out all this stuff so I can enjoy the metal that is Wacken with no worries!:D

No problem. I'm curious though, where are you from?

Zuletzt bearbeitet: