Some other questions

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

Muloc7253

W:O:A Metalhead
11 Okt. 2010
Some questions I've been pondering that I couldn't find answers for by searching?

1) How late can one leave it before booking tickets? When did they sell out last year?

2) How much beer/food do they let you bring onto site if you buy some from the local wacken supermarket?

3) What else is there to do when you're not in the crowd listening to the band? Are people having fun and drinking midday or do people usually wait until evening?

4) If arriving the night before, what's a recommended arrival time?

5) Can you hear the music from outside the crowd/audience area (as in campsite, drinking area etc.)

6) How early does the music tend to start?

7) What goes on of a night? Are people up all night drinking (as in, 2am onwards)? Sometimes I have trouble sleeping, would be good to know if there are still people up to drink with at all times.

8) What are the toilets like? Are they far walk from the drinking area(s) and do you normally have to queue? I say this because I have the most retarded bladder when I drink and usually have to piss every 20 minutes if not more.

9) Do you tend to hang about/meet new people there, or do you usually just hang with the group you came with? My first festival, so...

10) What's the drinking age in Germany? Will be bringing my younger brother who would have just turned 18

Thanks for your time, sorry if this stuff's been answered elsewhere.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Some questions I've been pondering that I couldn't find answers for by searching?

1) How late can one leave it before booking tickets? When did they sell out last year?

2) How much beer/food do they let you bring onto site if you buy some from the local wacken supermarket?

3) What else is there to do when you're not in the crowd listening to the band? Are people having fun and drinking midday or do people usually wait until evening?

5) Can you hear the music from outside the crowd/audience area (as in campsite, drinking area etc.)

7) What goes on of a night? Are people up all night drinking (as in, 2am onwards)? Sometimes I have trouble sleeping, would be good to know if there are still people up to drink with at all times.

8) What are the toilets like? Are they far walk from the drinking area(s) and do you normally have to queue? I say this because I have the most retarded bladder when I drink and usually have to piss every 20 minutes if not more.

9) Do you tend to hang about/meet new people there, or do you usually just hang with the group you came with? My first festival, so...

10) What's the drinking age in Germany? Will be bringing my younger brother who would have just turned 18

1) It did very late. But that's no guarantee.
2) Unlimited. No glass however. Not even marmalade and stuff! (unless you decide to go by/rent a car, then no problem)
3) The Mediaval Market, Wrestling tent (not my taste, but if one likes it...), Metal Market, Swimming pool (in the village itself), or many things more.
Or you drink on the camp site. Many who do that.
4) At your own point of view. Except when reserved places. (see www.wacken.com)
5) Camping: depends on where you are. Festival front/Beergarden: yes, and SOMETIMES with a better sound!
6) Noon
7) It's active 24/7. Be prepared for that!
8) Dixis. And in the morning you'll have to wait. (if you're ♀, you're in bad luck, if you're ♂, you can go anywhere, though there are pissoirs too)
Paid toilets are good, there's a line though.
9) Depends on the person(s). I don't know (you). I did, in the beginning, now I'm with a group (large group) and so I tend to stick to it.
10) 16 for beer and light alcohol drinks, 18 for all.

There's also this thread

Alix

W:O:A Metalmaster
12 Juli 2010
near Brisbane, Australia

It was pretty much impossible to not meet new people (especially if you're a single woman). I'm a pretty shy person, and had every intention of seeing bands and hanging with my friends but ended up drinking to the point of paralysis with a bunch of guys from Hannover and whomever else they invited basically all weekend. Then there were our Swedish neighbours, a couple of Israelis in our camp, other Australians we had previously never met, random Irish dude, random southern German kid who didn't speak English, and let's not forget the horribly hillarious first morning with the 2 Germans and the lovely New Zealander (that's another story all together haha).

Sipyloidea

W:O:A Metalgod
19 März 2007

cute ^^

metal_martin

W:O:A Metalhead
16 Nov. 2008
Peterborough, England

I'm not going to answer them all - most of that has been done.

But - stress that there is loads of entertainment besides the music. If you come with a group just camp with them - but there is normally a forum meet somewhere. If just the two of you are coming, come on one of the buses, whether from the airport or the long distance ones. You will meet people you can have fin and camp with. Toilets are festival toilets - but there are also better toilets you can pay for and lots of urinals that make it easy for the blokes, or women who are brave enough to use She-wees.

WRT sleeping - bring ear plugs. Actually good if you are pushing up front for the gig, but I always have a spare pair in my tent which I use to sleep with to cut out the noise - that and the alcohol means I always sleep well.

Drinking starts when you wake up - if that's what you want.

Sipyloidea

W:O:A Metalgod
19 März 2007
I don't recall seeing any "she-wees", but I don't suppose you mean just to piss in the trent? :p Perhaps I'm just blind...

He means a sort of funnel one can hold down there and then pee standing. Holly had one this year. I myself was thinking about it, but I rejected the thought since I don't have faith in the paper ones and the rubber one you have to carry around (therefore clean after using).

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts
Another question. My jacket has a giant Death SS back patch on it. Would it be worth covering over the SS with another patch or a bit of black tape? They're not nazis and the SS stands for Steve Sylvester, but there are lots of stupid people.

It's the cover art from this album

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/death_ss/___in_death_of_steve_sylvester/

I know Death SS have played Wacken before, so...

You should be fine, it is a band that has played Wacken before. Though, looking at the logo you might want to cover it up. The people at Wacken might not give you problems, however as S runes are illegal in Germany from my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) you might have problems from outside of the Wacken festival. So I would cover it up personally. Even if it's fine, it's best to avoid trouble in the long run.

eklof

7 Okt. 2008
Süd-Niedersachsen/Shanghai
Another question. My jacket has a giant Death SS back patch on it. Would it be worth covering over the SS with another patch or a bit of black tape? They're not nazis and the SS stands for Steve Sylvester, but there are lots of stupid people.

It's the cover art from this album

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/death_ss/___in_death_of_steve_sylvester/

I know Death SS have played Wacken before, so...

I would cover it up. Sig rune and double sig rune are indeed forbidden in Germany. It does not exactly look like the nazi rune but people might confuse it and don't like it.
Even if they have palyed Wacken before, not everyboddy will know them. People might not take the time to consider the patch as a whole but just recognize the rune. It is still a big issue in Germany, so I would be carefull.