Traveling to Wacken from Hamburg?

• Als neues Loginsystem benutzen wir die Wacken.ID. Damit du deinen jetzigen Account im Wacken Forum mit der Wacken.ID verknüpfen kannst, klicke bitte auf den Link und trage deine E-Mail Adresse ein, die du auch hier im Forum benutzt. Ein User mit deinem Benutzernamen und deiner E-Mail Adresse wird dann automatisch angelegt. Du bekommst dann eine E-Mail und musst deine Wacken.ID bestätigen.

Sollte es Probleme geben, schreibt uns bitte.

Klicke hier, um deinen Account in eine Wacken.ID zu migrireren.

darthj3sus

5 Apr. 2010
Is it possible to get to the festival if I am staying in Hamburg? Hoping to get a hotel there and be able to get back and forth to Wacken, does anybody know?

Deathbringer

W:O:A Metalmaster
13 März 2009
Massachusetts
I would recommend camping. Not only would it be rather difficult seeing I don't think the trains run that late, but that would be quite pricey and frustrating.

xforeverxmetalx

W:O:A Metalgod
29 Dez. 2007
Possible, yes.

But also inconvenient and probably expensive. Especially if you have to rely on taxis when the train/shuttles aren't going, which is very likely if you plan to stay till the last bands play.

If you absolutely have to have a hotel, I'd recommend getting one closer to Wacken [Hamburg is like, at least 30-45mins or so away, one way], but if not, just camp.

cel.mostarda

5 Apr. 2010
Hello all,

I'm planning on staying at a friend's house at Hohenwestedt, nearby Wacken, and go to the festival area everyday after lunch, by car. Would it be too much hassle or is it doable?

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts
It'll be doable, but, it's 30 minutes a day without traffic. That would be a real hassle. I don't even think there is a parking area for people just spending time during the day. Plus, you'd be missing a lot of bands by going after lunch.

I would highly recommend just camping.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
Hello all,

I'm planning on staying at a friend's house at Hohenwestedt, nearby Wacken, and go to the festival area everyday after lunch, by car. Would it be too much hassle or is it doable?

The car thing sounds doable if you can figure out parking somewhere besides the actual campgrounds, dunno how that works.

But there are bands playing before noon-1pm, so be ready to go before that unless you don't mind missing the bands playing at those times.

cel.mostarda

5 Apr. 2010
It'll be doable, but, it's 30 minutes a day without traffic. That would be a real hassle. I don't even think there is a parking area for people just spending time during the day. Plus, you'd be missing a lot of bands by going after lunch.

I would highly recommend just camping.

I really don't mind driving 1h per day or eating earlier to avoid missing some shows. To be honest, I'm more concerned with the parking situation and traffic. Is there heavy traffic throughout the whole festival period?

I'm trying to avoid camping because I'll travel through Greece after the festival and don't want to carry all the equipment for 20 days, since it will be useless when I leave Wacken.

Thank you all for the responses.

xforeverxmetalx

29 Dez. 2007
I really don't mind driving 1h per day or eating earlier to avoid missing some shows. To be honest, I'm more concerned with the parking situation and traffic. Is there heavy traffic throughout the whole festival period?

I'm trying to avoid camping because I'll travel through Greece after the festival and don't want to carry all the equipment for 20 days, since it will be useless when I leave Wacken.

No idea about traffic.

No offense but you won't get much sympathy from us. We're both bringing full gear from the US to Europe and back, and staying 2-3 months. :D

Deathbringer

13 März 2009
Massachusetts

From what I've heard, you WILL be facing traffic with very little parking. Many people also will be staying exclusively for Maiden, so that day, good luck.

I can understand not wanting to carry a lot of gear with camping, but, you could do what many other people do which is bring a cheap tent that you won't feel bad about leaving behind. Besides a sleeping bag or a blanket, you won't need anything else.

Trust me, you will NOT regret it if you decide to camp.

Quark

Der Beste
19 Juli 2004
Best, Nederland. Jetzt Belgien
Hello all,

It is doable, but ther's one thing.

It is very busy with all those 'campers' who go into town by car (or going to the swimming pool etc)
There's NO parking lot, nor parking space!
On certain times, the Hauptstrasse is a one way street. (to the festival, not sure)
And last but not least, fuel is not cheap in Germany.

Camp. Even if it means carrying 20kgs afterwards. Or you can always sell it before you leave.